AHHHH my tank leaking!!!!

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by justinian, Apr 8, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. justinian

justinian Astrea Snail

ok so i leak tested this b4 i put it up (it was good), now that i have almost every thing in and its been cycleing for about a month it decides to leak! what do i do? i just noticed it today :cry: i have some livestock in there... couple of hemits and a couple of emralds.

well here the tank is i tried to put a vid of the leak but it would not let me its leaking from the bottom back left corner.
    IMGA0177.JPG

IMGA0181.JPG

Last edited: Apr 8, 2010
  2. Click Here!

3. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Is it leaking from the bottom or side (hard to tell from picture)? Can you tell how high up the leak is? If it is closer to the top, I would drain to the leak level and try some aquarium sealant to fix the issue. If coming from the bottom or in a stress area you may have a big issue that may result in a replacement.

4. justinian

justinian Astrea Snail

i cant tell either because of the molding that covers the corns and bottom. man hope its comeing from the top! there is no visible cracking tho. i just draind about three inches out of the tank im waiting to see what happens

5. justinian

justinian Astrea Snail

ok so far after draining the tank 3" its stoped dripping... so would id be allright to just calk the crap out of the top?

6. Kelley11

Kelley11 Peppermint Shrimp

Just make sure you use something that is aquarium friendly. Most LFS sell some type (even Walmart sales some).

1 person likes this.
  7. justinian

justinian Astrea Snail

think it will do the trick tho

8. Click Here!

9. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Just seal as much as you can and let it cure for a week if at all possible. Clean the area you are sealing real well also.

10. tigermike74

tigermike74 Panda Puffer

Problem is that draining 3" of water can be relieving a LOT of stress. Each gallon of water is about 8lbs. Depending on the size of your tank, it can be a ton of weight relieved off the seams. I would slowly replace the water to see if you can see if the leak is from the top of the tank or the bottom brace.
    Did you buy the tank new? If so, I would take it back, it's not worth risking all that damage.

11. justinian

justinian Astrea Snail

yea i baught the tank new, but it was on clearance and they have a no return policy on clearance items.

12. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

It's not a "return" if the item is defective at many places.