Aggression Issue

Discussion in 'ID This!' started by PittsburghReefTank12, Jan 24, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. PittsburghReefTank12

PittsburghReefTank12 Flamingo Tongue

Need some help with my tank. So I have a Clownfish and a Lantern Bass in my 24g NanoCube. I used to have a Yellow Wrasse but he was being picked on badly and eventually died. I dont know why but the Clownfish was really picking on him. Im looking into getting a new fish , but need to resolve this problem before I do anything. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Click Here!

3. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Not really much you can do. In a tank that size aggression is a real problem. You can try moving some rocks around but Clowns are Damsels and will pick on weaker fish in their "territory".What kind of clown is it? The removal of one or the other may be necessary.

DSC reef and scajeo like this.
  4. PittsburghReefTank12

Its a oscllairs clownfish, not sure if I spelled that right :confused:

cody3819 likes this.
  5. cody3819

cody3819 Bubble Tip Anemone

I have a very aggressive clown as well. I have had to remove fish due to it bullying on them.... It's a trait of Clowns, as Vinny stated, they are really damsels and very territorial..... I re-scaped my tank and that helped but its still a mean ole girl....

DSC reef likes this.
  6. PittsburghReefTank12

Thanks For Your Help Guys

DSC reef likes this.
  7. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

how long have you had the clown?

8. Click Here!

9. PittsburghReefTank12

10. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

I would then say that the disposition is unlikely to change so you will be limited on adding new tank mates. You could try a smaller similar clown that would likely submit to the larger one and if they find harmony with each other that may reduce some aggression. Do you have an anemone? probably the easiest thing to do is to remove the clown and start fresh but I'm thinking of some other possible options if you are attached :)

Swisswiss and DSC reef like this.
  11. PittsburghReefTank12

Yes I Am I Really Like Him, Dont Have An Anemone I Agree I Think Thats Most Likely Why. I Dont Know If Your Experienced With Acans Because I Have Another Question Lol. I Was Moving My Acan The Other Day And Dropped Him Onto A Rock. Hes A Little Shrunk Im A Little Concerned That Hes Not Doing Well. Im Not Very Experienced with Them And Dont Know What A Healthy One Should Look Like. Thanks For All The Help :)

cody3819 likes this.
  12. DSC reef

DSC reef Giant Squid

The acan should recover as long as you have stable params. I've had rock work fall on mine before and after being upset they recovered nicely.