Age old question

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Poseidon27, Mar 18, 2014.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Poseidon27

Poseidon27 Flamingo Tongue

Aright guys, this is the age old question but I want some input before I commit to something and make a $400+ mistake. So I'm ugrading my 75G to a 125g and obviously my 48" light just isn't going to cut it plus the circuit board is bad and won't fire one of the ballast (I've tried replacing it with two different brands and nothing), so it needs to go. On a side note I've been growing SPS on 2 T5HO ATI bulbs for 8 months and they've done awesome. But I am on a pretty tight budget and I've found a noce Odessea 72" MH with T5HO fixture for less than $400 (plus leave the Odessea bashing out, I've done A LOT of research on this fixture and seen it in person and its really good for the price) I've also found a 12 lamp T5 Aquaticlife but its used and $500 but I could probably haggle him down to around $400, or I can get a LED set of one Aqua illumination and one off-brand LED fixture for around $450. So I'm leaning more toward the T5 or the LED set up but my question is would 2 LED fixtures be enought for a 6ft tank? Or would the T5 be better? The only thing that I'm leary about the T5 is having to buy 12 bulbs for the thing ha.

Second question: How often do you need to change the bulbs in your fixtures? I've heard many different things but want to get some experiences on this.

Thanks guys

2. Click Here!

3. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

how long are the LED fixtures?

4. Poseidon27

About 1 foot each. One is just blue/white and the other is full spectrum. I will be upgrading the blue/white down the road but for now I think that it will be ok.

5. mdbostwick

depending on the degree on the lenses, you could get full coverage. You would probably be happier with 24 inch fixtures. 2 total feet of light is not a lot when you are trying to cover 6 feet.

6. Poseidon27

They have 80 degree lens, One is a AI hydra and the other is a chinese LED blue white. a 24in fixture is a little outta the budget right now haha.

7. Poseidon27

I could also do a 20.5 inch 10,000K razor fixture along with the other LED. Would this possible work for coral and clam growth?

8. Click Here!

9. mdbostwick

I have heard good things about the Hydra, no experience myself. The 80 degree lenses would give you pretty good coverage. Just something to think about, How will it effect your SPS with the light being mounted higher above your tank to get full coverage. I am guessing you will only have your sps under the Hydra? So most of your coral will have to be within a one foot footprint.

10. Poseidon27

Thats what I was thinking so I could get the Maspect Razor fixture for the same price and its 20.5 inch with the same specs. Anyone have any experience with this?

11. mdbostwick

I have no experience with those either but i have seen people recommend those fixtures as well. They may be the better bet. Just do a search on the forums for the name of the fixture and you should be able to find info about how people have liked them.

12. Poseidon27

Ok, i've been searching this forum as well as all over the net and I've found many good review for both but I'm trying to see if the length difference is what I should go on since they're both spec'd about the same.