again?

Discussion in 'Algae' started by TonysReef, Jun 3, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. TonysReef

TonysReef Feather Duster

hey guys is it common to get diatom alage break outs once in a while?..usally after a water change?...cause i just got rid of them not to long ago and i did a water change about 2-3 days ago and woke up this morning to a diatom mess.

2. Click Here!

3. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

It is if you use tapwater IME but using RODI , I have never had any after initial set up

did you add any new plastics recently? or plumb in a sump? or add a new substrate?

Steve

4. Crimson Ghost

Crimson Ghost Blue Ringed Angel

I agree, are you using RO/DI, if so how old are the filters?

Diatoms in an established tank are feeding on Nitrates, Phosphates and silicates (something most do not know about or test for – silicates !)

Try a phosphate sponge (will absorb silicates) and check your RO/DI and they brand of salt mix you are using. Generally speaking, more silicates in a tank the more brown algae grows – the more Phosphates in a tank the more green algae will grow.

5. TonysReef

TonysReef Feather Duster

well i do use tap water...yes yes i know use RO, i also use Instant Ocean Salt mix, i havent added any plastics or anything just a water change.

6. Crimson Ghost

Tap water is the culpret. Steve mentioned new plastics since new plastic and I think new glass can leach phosphates.

RO/DI is something you should try and migrate to

7. steve wright

the silicates are in your tap water Tony
    thats why diatoms came back, and may continue to come back every time you top off using tap or do a water change using tap

on a new tank with nothing in , diatoms are just a ugly nuisance
    but once you start having corals in, these diatoms create additional concerns

They can block the pores of corals etc and GSP which is normally a hardy coral can stay closed down due to the diatoms preventing them opening fully - Turkey baster required

I saw this 1st hand on a mates tank who stocked GSP a week after he set his tank up, they where fine through the cycle ,but stayed closed for days and days once the diatom stage was reached.

Definitely look at RODI , but if your stuck with tap, you could look at increasing the chemical aspects of your filter system, using a Phosphate remover that also takes out silicates (Aquaphos, Phosgaurd, Rhowphos) or a silicate remover (ex- silicate)

Steve

8. Click Here!

9. duhlsusional

duhlsusional Flamingo Tongue

Correct me if i'm wrong, but they make RODI pumps correct?
    Like the Coralife Pure Flo.
    How exactly do these work?

10. steve wright

RODI - means reverse osmosis and de-ionised water

the RO - means water is passed through a very fine filter(Microns) and the DI has cation and anion resins in that attract any postively and negatively charged particles that got through the filter

you plumb these into your mains water and turn on a tap and pure water comes out

units are not cheap, but they are good value IMO

Steve

11. duhlsusional

duhlsusional Flamingo Tongue

So these do not mount by your tank. But your plumbing inside your house.

12. Crimson Ghost

Thats correct, they tie onto a water source in your home and filter water for your tank only (not drinking)

here is a link to one:
    Kent Marine Reverse Osmosis/Deionization (RO/DI) System