After 6 months of fighting it I'm starting over

Discussion in 'Algae' started by KOgle, Mar 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Well gang I hate to say it but after 6 months of trying to fight my hair algae and now bryopsis algae I'm throwing in the towel and tearing the tank down. This really sucks becasue I've gotten the hair algae under control and it's not growing back. As soon as this went away the calcerus algae started to grow though. Hamaldia SP. and what is it maiden's hair maybe. Looks like a pickle growing out of the rock???

First thing I need to do is find the source of the problem. I've tested the RO and it seems ok but I'm going to double check.

All of the rock will be bleached including what's in the fuge and wet dry.

All SPS corals will be tossed out due to picking up AEFW somewhere down the road.

Only question is should I set up QT and totally drain the tank and then use bleach to clean it? Is there anotherway to ensure all the algae spores are killed? I hate to take my livestock out of the main tank...

Let me know what you all think. The plan is to start removing the rock tomorrow night or wednesday...

2 people like this.
  2. Click Here!

3. aquaboy

aquaboy Panda Puffer

The algae spores will always be there waiting for nutrients to feed on.... really dont know what to say. maybe some lettuce nudi's (well im not sure if they are actually nudi's....) would work? It would suck if you had to tear down a system like that! GL with whatever happens :-/

4. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Good luck Ogle!! I'll be there to help you with whatever you decide to do, I just hope it's not the RO since I get my water off of you!:eek: Karma to ya, try and cheer you up!!!

5. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

lugols solution

not really, bleach will take care of it
    smart choice

6. baugherb

baugherb Giant Squid

7. hugoman900

hugoman900 Astrea Snail

Hopefully restarting will solve all your problems with algea! I know how you feel... I had to restart my tank during christmas because I had a similar problem, but my LFS recently started to sell RO water for 25 cents a gallon that I use for top off, and I get saltwater from the ocean. I will never use tapwater again. Karma up for you!

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

:cry: What ever help you need, I still have 2 gallons of bleach in the garage from the last batch I cooked.

10. KOgle

KOgle Zoanthid

Thanks for the well wishes everyone!

Otty and Bm, I talked to Zach last night and he's going to let me set up his 55 gallon as a QT tank. It might be a week or two before I can start moving items due to having to set up a new tank. I'm going to get with him tonight and get everything moved to my house.

This should be a big help in trying to save my live stock.

11. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

That is right he does still have that sitting around...good score and great friend.

12. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

Man your at work early!!! I didn't know you office types got up this time of morning!!

Are you gonna get some water off of Scott for the QT? I got a few small peices of base rock not in the tank if you wanna use it. Are you gonna nuke the entire system since you are going to the length of setting up the QT? Probably be worth it since you are getting a nice system for QT, wouldn't it? Give me a call later, I can come help.