African Cichlid Tank - 55 Gallon (Good and Bad news regarding Clown Loach)

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by kornaco40B, May 12, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Lesson Learned: Just because a LFS houses some clown loaches with other african cichlids (and says they are compatible) doesn't mean they'll actually do well in my tank. (Long lesson, huh?) :-[

So, I brought 2 clown loaches home about 7-8 months ago. One is officially lost/dead as of a few weeks ago :-/ The other is doing, okay, but is not nearly as an aggressive eater as my cichlids... He's not picked on, which was the logic of the LFS, saying their barbs would deter aggression from others... So, in that aspect, guess they were right. But, my loaches stay too skinny, tried a few techniques, but I'm finally thinking they aren't a good match... Well, no longer they, just the one now.... Guess I'll be returning the little guy soon.

Oh, the good news, if you can call it that.....my clown that passed, was never found. The tank was able to absorb the effects with the help of some large water changes...no other signs of illness or issues other than an algae bloom that has now passed...

Just some venting, I suppose... Thanks!:)

2. Click Here!

3. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

You were housing fish that require vastly different water parameters besides the feeding styles.

4. kornaco40B

kornaco40B Spaghetti Worm

Yeah, seems that way. Looks like they'd be better neighbors rather than roommates. ;)

5. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

i agree with 2 in 10, they need totally different parameters, loaches actually do better in a semi bracckish enviornment

6. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Most African cichlids require hard and highly alkaline water, where as the loaches require much softer water with a pH between 6.5 and 7.0.