African Cichlid Breeding

Discussion in 'Freshwater Aquariums' started by cwick22, Apr 10, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. cwick22

cwick22 Plankton

I have two bumble bee cichlids in my tank that are breeding. I know that africans keep the eggs in their mouths. A friend recently told me that he tries to "milk" the eggs out of their mouth after a while, but it didnt always work real well. Does anyone know a better method or when to try this "milking" method?

The good knews its that I now have one newborn fish that has spawned on his own!

2. Click Here!

3. BorntoReef

BorntoReef Fire Worm

cichlids4ever

I am not dising on 3reef.com I think it is a great site but I would suggest asking that question on cichlids4ever.com forum

4. cwick22

cwick22 Plankton

that's actually a nice little freshwater forum. not a lot of users yet but very specific and knowledgable of cichlids. :idea2:

5. sventhemac

sventhemac Astrea Snail

Last time cichlids were in the house we put the momma in a separate tank with a divider where the babies could escape from her, and so she could heal up and replenish her body. They don't eat a single bit while they have the eggs and babies in their mouths. If you give them to long or don't move them to a separate tank only a couple with survive. Our tank inhabitants ate all but three of the first batch. The only way we knew they had babies was when we saw the three huddled in a corner during a water change. Good luck with them.

6. cwick22

cwick22 Plankton

Yeah I've only had the one survive so far. I'm not really try to breed alot of fish but a friend of mine wants a few, so I thought I would try to save some for him. I think its gonna be kinda tough to find and protect them.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]