AEFW-Plan and Attack!

Discussion in 'Coral Diseases' started by dowtish, Nov 27, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Given this, you may want to edit your first post with this information. I am just afraid people will see this as the miracle dip, not rinse it good enough, and end up killing all inverts.

Any reason you switched in the first place? I dip 100% of new corals in Coral Rx, so very curious...

2. Click Here!

3. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

I found a thread on RC that was talking about an optional dip for the treatment for Red Bugs because of the problem with getting interceptor from a Vet, or the shortage of interceptor on the market. As the thread progressed, people began seeing AEFW falling off their corals, and the fact that your corals do not suffer major color loss, and have polyp extension within minutes of placing them back into the tank. Because I too had always used Coral Rx, but it is not an effective dip when it comes to RB's. So I did more research, and a lot of folks had quit using Coral Rx and similar dips all together. That's how and why I chose to use Bayer.

4. evolved

evolved Wrasse Freak

^ Right. The latter part there is key; there are no hobbyst grade coral dips which kill RB. You need interceptor or Bayer for that...

5. Marshall O

Marshall O Giant Squid

Very good info, thanks! And thanks for adding the disclaimer :)

6. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

No problem, thanks for pointing it out. I would hope folks would read the entire thread before running out and just dipping. But it is good to be able to go back and reference it.

7. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Lost another frag last night. This one was a no name frag someone gave me, that was not quite happy to begin with. All others seem to be okay. Even all the frags of Red Planet that I had to make are encrusting on the plugs in just 2 weeks. I have been doing steady 5 gallon water changes every 3-4 days to keep water pristine. I am having a slight brown slime algae problem, but I am cleaning and siphoning it out with each WC. I am due for another round of dipping tonight.

8. Click Here!

9. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Update:
    Overall things are going very well. I am down to 2 more rounds of dipping, one of them is today. The last dip session was done last weekend, and I found 6 very small worms, and they were on 2 colonies. the rest of the frags and other colonies were clean. I think that was the last of them, but 2 more rounds of dipping to make sure.

I also have added some fish. My sixline disappeared completely. I think it carpet surfed and then my pitbull puppy ate it?!?!?!
    So I added some chromis the next day, which will be moved to my DT shortly. I also was having some GHA pop up, and I cant use inverts due to the toxicity of the dip, so I found a very very small sailfin to eat my algae. I also added a potters angel yesterday. Because I have wanted one forever, and my LFS has had one in for over 2 weeks, so I got him. He will remain in the QT until I upgrade my tank in March.

here is a quick video of the QT
    QT Tank - YouTube

10. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Congrats on the fish, looks like Chromis are already bossing each other around.

Beside Clown fish, Potters Angels are my favorite fish.

You seem to be doing an excellent job of getting a handle on it. Looks like you have a lot of decent size frags left to work with.

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

Good news for sure.Congrats on beating those filthy buggers.;D
    LOVE Potter's Angels.;)

12. dowtish

dowtish Horrid Stonefish

Here's a good one.

[​IMG]