AEFW and Red Bugs

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by YellowBelly, Jul 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. YellowBelly

YellowBelly Teardrop Maxima Clam

What is the best method of treatment for AEFW and Acropora Eating Red Bugs? Can the tank be treated for these two pests or will they need to be dipped in a solution? I have interceptor for the red bugs but what is the most effective treatment for AEFW? Can I mix the Interceptor with the AEFW treatment in a bucket and treat the coral or do I have to have each treatment solution in a separate bucket?

2. Click Here!

3. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

hmmm idk if you can at the same time... but you have to be careful, the treatments have a high rate of coral loss from the stress so good luck

4. Mainstream Aqua

Mainstream Aqua 3reef Sponsor

Red bugs is an under rated pest but it does put stress on the corals. Interceptor works great and the treatment is easy. Just plan on loosing some inverts and have some water on hand for a water change.

For best results for AEFW treatment, cut the corals off from the base and throw the plug away. Treat them in a separate tank for 6 weeks with weekly dips of levamisole HCl. Levamisole HCl is a pig dewormer and I found mine at a local Tractor Supply. This will also take out other flat worms, which are pest in you tank.

Edit - Red bugs is an over rated pest...........................that make a big difference.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  5. YellowBelly

I've found that ReVive is very effective for ridding the corals of AEFW. It only takes a 10 minute bath. Also, freshwater kills them.

6. Mainstream Aqua

Well if you are looking for something that you can buy in a fish store, Tropic Marine works the best. Coral Revive works too but it can be a bit harsher on the corals. HTH

7. YellowBelly

Actually it's the other way around. TMPC is much more unforgiving on the corals than ReVive. TM uses an iodine based solution and usually always turn the corals brown sometimes causing recession.

8. Click Here!

9. Mainstream Aqua

I actually use both in the past and TM works best for me when treating AEFW. Trust me, the iodine doesn't turn the corals brown. I also use seachem coral dip, which is a heavy iodine base dip, as a pre dip before the corals go into qt. This is easier on the corals but iodine is going to treat the corals with any pathogens and reduce bacterial infections from shipping damage. Once they have settled in, I use Tropic Marin. I was using CR but stopped due to the poor results. It seems that I had to do a longer dip on the acros with CR and that alone stresses them out. However, everbody has different preferences on different brands so CR might work out better.

Here is my reading for AEFW. HTH.

Melevsreef.com - AEFW | Acropora Eating Flatworms

Last edited: Sep 2, 2010
  10. tatted4ever

tatted4ever Clown Trigger

And you were selling frags of these infected coral?

11. Mainstream Aqua

are you asking me this question?

12. ingtar_shinowa

ingtar_shinowa Giant Squid

hey MSA, have you tried CoralRX?

@Tattered. Im sure as a retailer when he gets corals from suppliers to contemplate using them for brood stock he quarantines them and has to deal with hitchhikers just like anyone else who gets coral maricultured, aquacultured, or wild caught.