Advise on pending purchase (anemone)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by Sean Dean, Mar 13, 2016.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Sean Dean

Sean Dean Plankton

Aquareef 400, replaced standard lights with V2 Ilumenair 1200 LED lighting with a dawn, morning, day, evening, dusk and moonlight cycle.

Currently house:
    1 Foxface
    1 Regal tang
    2 cardinals
    1 leopard wrasse
    1 maroon clownfish
    1 mandarin goby/dragonet
    1 falco hawk fish
    assorted hermit crabs and some snails
    1 whelk
    5 nassarius snails
    1 cleaner shrimp (he ate the other three...)
    1 orange starfish (no idea species think orange marble or similar)
    1 cluster of zooanthids which are doing well
    a new pink coral which I don't know the name off but watched it grow for a year in the LFS, think its a pink finger leather coral
    There's also an emerald crab in there...somewhere but I've seen him twice I think.

Fighting the fight against green algae (all my water is RO:DI and made at home) but I seem to be slowly winning that fight, took a step back this month as I accidentally closed the air hose to the protein skimmer.

Considering buying an anemone but I am having trouble identifying it. The LFS has said pink tipped anemone but that doesn't seem to be a specific species rather a few species also have that name. The guy who runs the place is really nice and hasn't sold me anything that I haven't requested and always takes things back if I change my mind but he has only started doing marines and isn't as knowledgeable about them as I'd like when making potentially hazardous purchases.

I don't have photos of the anemone as it's in the shop. But it's identifying characteristics are:

Foot approx 3 inches across
    column maybe 8 inches long
    V.long tentacles maybe 6 or 7 inches long
    Pink

Now the closest I could find was the Giant Anemone (which also carries the name pink tipped) but if anyone has a different idea that would be great AND given the animals living in my tank how hazardous would this be to acquire?

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

Honestly, sounds like a pink-tipped condylactus gigantea, aka atlantic pink-tip anemone, giant haitian anemone. Condy anemones are notorious for their destruction in captivity, as they tend to move A LOT and sting everything they touch. Although some damsels and larger clownfish species (maroon, tomato) may find refuge in one, they're not a natural host to anything in the wild, and their venom is more potent than that of any other anemone in the aquarium trade.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
  4. dacianb

dacianb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Try out bubble tips nems - are easiest to care for and no so aggressive as others.
    Still, if you have algae issues, your water may be out of specs for any nems around.

Mr. Bill and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  5. Va Reef

Va Reef Giant Squid

Price will be the deciding factor on the anemone, if it's under $40 it's definitely a Condy.

I also reccomend a bubble tip.

6. dacianb

Dean, before purchasing any nem test your water parameters:
    - salinity - have to be tested preferably with a refractometer and have to be constant as long you will have the nem - swings in water parameters kills them easily. Temperature and salinity swings are some of the worst.
    - NO3 - I had a short period with NO >10 -15 and my nem looked terrible for weeks after that
    - PO4 - also low range
    - PH, KH - doesnt really matter the values, but stability over time
    - light - you may have very good light, but nems can be bleached out easily - so start with dimmer lights and increase gradually
    - personally I dont feed my nem since months (as she is able to catch frozen food floating in tank) - but even if you target feed it, give SMALL pieces once every few days / once per week. Nems have primitive digestive system and big pieces or too much food will rot inside faster than digested.

I think on nems same as SPS corals, except the Ca / Mg levels :)

Mr. Bill and Vinnyboombatz like this.
  7. Sean Dean

Sean Dean Plankton

Salinity 1.024 with refractometer, keep it stable with ato. Everything else is normal besides nitrates (reckon algae eating phosphates) which are much to high. Though algae growth is now at a crawl so think I'm winning the fight.
    I'm in the UK it's £35 :D
    This is the response I expected really but thought I'd check anyway. Thanks very much.

8. Click Here!

9. dacianb

Ps - if regal tang means blue tang think to a backup plan. Foxface may be decently ok but the blue tang will outgrow your tank easily. I have a rs reefer simmilar length with yours, but I have kole tang which is much smaller and less aggresive.

10. Sean Dean

Sean Dean Plankton

It is a blue tang, it hasnt really grown since I got it months ago, still smaller than than the Foxface. At its current rate I'll have a bigger tank before it outgrows it, plus it hasn't been at all aggressive to anyone else (hawk fish is though...). Thank you for the suggestion though :)

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I just saw the pics on your other thread.I would not add any more corals until you get that algae/nutrients in check.

Mr. Bill likes this.
  12. Sean Dean

Sean Dean Plankton

Compared to what it was it's almost gone, but yes I agree. It's also cleaning day today so that picture was taken at it's current worst level