Advice using flatworm exit

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by lloydy, Jul 15, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. lloydy

lloydy Astrea Snail

Hi,

I have a flat worm problem in my tank, and have purchased some flatworm exit.

I spent over an hour yesterday syphoning out the little beggers, through a tight foot, filtering them out of the water, this water went into a bucket, which i then pumped back into the tank so i could get more out.

I emptied 5 bucket loads of water, and countless flat worms in preperation for use of the flatworm exit.

the next day, it seems there are still quite a few ( i got rid of all visible ones the day before).

Obviously i dont want to use this stuff with a high number of flat worms.

I dont have an external canaster that i can put activated carbon in, do you recommend keep filtering out flat worms untill i can afford to purchase a canaster?

Also my LFS has a 6 line wrasse in, which i am thinking of purchasing to help control the flat worms, as this is a much cheaper option than buying the canister and activated carbon.

Will there be any harm in getting the fish, and manually removing these flat worms untill i get an canister, or will an out of control outbreak occur?

2. Click Here!

3. DonJayR1

DonJayR1 Plankton

The best way is always natural..... meaning try the natural way first with the six line wrasse.... just be careful and do some research on the six line to find out its compatability with tankmates...... There are also other alternatives to the six line wrasse for flat worm eradication.

4. madlarkin

madlarkin Peppermint Shrimp

When siphoning them out do NOT filter and reintroduce the water, flatworms emit a nasty toxin upon death and you can cause a major tank crash by doing that. If you can get them under control manually I would try it first, most of the problems I have read/heard of with FWE seem to come from the dieoff and not the the product. Ive been treating with FWE for zoa eating nudis and it seems to be every bit as reef safe as salifert claims.

5. saltyunderground

saltyunderground 3reef Sponsor

I've used Flatworm Exit several times on a variety of tanks. Here is what I learned.

First follow the directions completely. You do not want to kill your fish from the posion of the faltworm die off.

Second, the more flow you have to make sure the chemical penetrates cracks and crevices in your rock the better. The flatworms that are not in the open parts of your tank can survive if the chemical does not get to them. I have even stirred the tank water around with a large spoon and used a turkey baster to push the water into the small spaces in the rock and in my sump.

Last, buy enough chemical to retreat once or twice after the first treatment. I can't remember a time where it did not take more than one treatment to solve the problem.

Hope this helps.

6. Henry Bowman

Henry Bowman Plankton

7. Alex

Alex Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I just added a yellow wrasse to my tank when I had the problem. cleared it right up.