Advice on phos- and nitrate media

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Scoffer, Dec 19, 2006.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

Any good suggestion on which phosphate removal media to use ?

(was going with Phosban)

and maybe a nitrate sponge?

(saw Kent Nitrate media)

I was planning on putting it in my Vortex Diatom Xl filter, and letting it run for a couple of days....

or would it be better in a bag in the wet/dry???

thanks for ya'lls advice..

TIA,

Scoffer

2. Click Here!

3. Dyngoe

Dyngoe Fire Worm

Hi Scoffer,

Phosban will do the trick to remove any phosphates. And a sponge will help with the nitrates. That said, I'm not a fan of chemical filtration. Do you have a refugium? I can't stress the value of these things. I used to use phosban and other media to remove my toxins. I since built a refugium and my tank has never been happier. This is more of a long term fix as opposed to chemical which, I blieve, should be used to fix temporary problems. But, if you are set on chemical filtration, most products on the market will work fine.

4. fishflyer

fishflyer Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I use Seachem Phosguard. I found it to be less messy than Phosban

5. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

yeah, but Phosgaurd raises the tank temp,I dont think Phosban does...

and its going into my diatom filter, so there should (right....) be no mess...

I guess either would be sufficent....

Also, no refugium. just a wet/dry. Im pulling out my bioballs, and replacing them with a porous rock (slowly). I'm also gonna add some cheato or chalpea to my wet/dry area, with a litttle light.
    And I built a very large C D a while back, but never installed it!!! it must be over 3 feet tall, and I use like 3/8" tubing and like 75 bio balls in it, to be my de-nitrator. But my phosphates are way above 3.....and Im not sure why. Salt was PO4 free, My feeding should now be PO4 free...maybe just resident PO4 from before....

thanks for any help all,

Scoffer

6. sharkatak

sharkatak Flamingo Tongue

phosphate

I use Sera phosvec Granulat in my 200l. tank with great success.I notice the difference in the quantity of algae on the glass when the granules are over 6 wks. old.Combined with a coral beauty & skopus tang,I have no green hair at all.

7. Scoffer

Scoffer Banned

wow, can't seem to find that here in the states....

btw, anyone think its better to run in my diatom filter ( highly pumped are) or in a filter bag, in my drip--wet/dry area? seems the diatom filter would do better...

tia
    Scoffer

8. Click Here!

9. bouraganes

bouraganes Peppermint Shrimp

I have used Seachem Phosguard when my tank was in it's younger stages with no perceived ill effects.

10. mattgeezer

mattgeezer Montipora Capricornis

ive just picked up a bottle (free actually) lfs was doing a clean out and they gave me pick 8) . Its the liquid version not the granulut anything i need to know before trying it out?

11. reefboy23

reefboy23 Feather Duster

How is the rowaphos????? anyone use it???

12. Maudsley

Maudsley Astrea Snail

I use Warner Marine PHoSar in a phosban reactor. Within a day my phosphates went from .25 to zero and has held zero for a month now.