Advice on lighting a 72" tank

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by mattb57, Sep 5, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mattb57

mattb57 Banned

I need advice with lighting. I am interested in a unit such as this AquaticLife HQI Metal Halide Fixtures with T5 HO and Lunar LEDs mostly because ease of use. It's pretty expensive but maybe I can find something similar for cheaper or used and just replace the bulbs. LEDs are a nice thought but I would need tons of them and they would be even more expensive initially. I am planning on making my current 55gal into a refugium and I would consider LEDs for that use because they are much cooler(temperature). I also have two 30 gallon tanks that I could make into small frag tanks or quarantine tank. I don't know if both the 55 and one of 30 gal tanks could fit under a 72" stand but one of the tanks is very long, skinny,and shallow and the other is taller and wider. Could I make a dual purpose frag and quarantine or is that a bad idea? Also if I had a UV sterilizer would I even need a quarantine or is that a myth?

Last edited: Sep 5, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. 1.0reef

1.0reef Giant Squid

Maxspect razor
    Ecotech Radion
    Kessil a350w
    Reefbreeders
    Ecoxotic Cannon led's
    rapid led- DIY leds

4. mattb57

mattb57 Banned