Advice on a tank mate

Discussion in 'Cichlids' started by ColonelKirtz, Mar 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ColonelKirtz

ColonelKirtz Plankton

Alright everyone, meet Colonel Kirtz.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Don't worry, he's friendly; he won't bite.. hard.

The Colonel is about 2.5 inches from head to tail and I've had him since mid-January, and he's almost doubled in size. I have a Green Terror too but to be quite honest, his future is not looking too bright at the moment, as sad as that may be. I was wondering if any of you had suggestions as to a new fish I could incorporate with my Jack Dempsey and without having to worry about them not getting along and such. Any suggestions, feedback, or input would be greatly appreciated. If my Green Terror doesn't make it, I want to have a new tank mate for my Dempsey. Let me know, thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

A jack dempsey may be one of the meanest freshwater fish in my experience. Unless the tank was much bigger, I wouldn't expect that the jack dempsey would let anything live in there with it. You might be able to keep a large pleco or an oscar that's a little bigger than the jack dempsey. Other fish could work, but keep in mind that it's a smaller tank - and it belongs to the Colonel now.

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

5. Guinness0052

Guinness0052 Plankton

Add two more female Jack Dempsey's. I am assuming it is a male. Does his bottom anal fin end in a tappered "point" or is it rounded???? Your green Terror is probably also a male. The strong survive. You have an ongoing cage fight going on. there is no ref and they fight to the death. Add another fight or two. hence two more females. They will all work it out then. ALSO....change the entire layout of the tank when you add fish. Then they feel like they are ALL in a new place.

6. Guinness0052

Guinness0052 Plankton

I just saw your other post. Your tank is too bare....you need more "stuff". more big rocks. Stacked. and about 3 more real plants...tall.

7. coldshot

coldshot Blue Ringed Angel

8. Click Here!

9. LpSman185

LpSman185 Plankton

Jack Dempsey's never play nice with anyone...its not a matter of who they will be compatable with, it is a matter of who will put up as good of a fight...and there are few options for that other than other jacks or I have had luck with oscars only because they outweigh them lol