Advice! CO2 off the chart on my well water to RODI

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by mdbostwick, Jul 16, 2015.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. mdbostwick

mdbostwick Vlamingii Tang

So i used the conversion on fishfriend.com for calculating my CO2 in my well water since my system won't last long at all with 0tds.

pH of water going into the RODI is 6.3, i know already a bad sign.
    the alk on my hanna checker blinks 300, Yikes!!

so it is telling me 252ppm of CO2 in my source water.

So it seems, a degasser would be a good thing for me to have but i am wanting to avoid any additional pumps.

Is a degasser really worth the hassle of making it and running it?

Any suggestions on what i should do?

2. Click Here!

3. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

Are you have pH issues in your tank?

4. mdbostwick

Not really any in my tank.

After rereading what i wrote initially, i didn't realize there is no mention of my reasoning for looking at this.

This is in regards to my RODI unit. My DI resin is not lasting at all. Less than 100 gallons i would say at 0tds.

I don't skimp on my filtration either. I have the SpectraSelect PlusC 90-GPD RO 99 Percent Rejection Membrane, and am using the SilicaBuster DI Cartridge - Non-Indicating SuperDI™ 10-inch with Spectrapure sediment and carbon as well, which are the lowest micron.

I really shouldn't be getting less than 100 gallons out of my DI resin cartridge.

5. Kevin_E

Kevin_E Giant Squid

6. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Spectrapure has instructions on how to construct a degassing tower here:
    http://spectrapure.com/frequently-asked-questions#calcc02
    It does not require a seperate pump other than a cheap air pump, just disconnect the line and feed the RO water into the tower and let the effluent from the tower feed the DI filter then into your storage vessel.

7. mdbostwick

I have looked at their design. So i would just need to make sure the waterlevel in the tower would be higher than the di canister, right?

8. Click Here!

9. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

Yes. You could mount it up higher and let it drain down to the DI then down to storage.

10. mdbostwick

I think this should work with some rearranging. currently my storage is on the opposite side of the room by my sump and the rodi is by the source and drain with a line above the ceiling so it will take some working around to accomplish but doable.

The only problem i can forsee is when i change the filters, usually there is spillage. Any suggestions on how to minimize this?

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

The small amount of water that leaks out when changing filters is minimal. I shut my supply off and let the levels drain down a bit before unscrewing the sumps(canisters) and hardly spill a drop if any.

mdbostwick likes this.
  12. mdbostwick

In your opinion, if you had this much CO2 in your source water, would you degas it?