Advanced Question

Discussion in 'Fish Diseases' started by MissEden, Aug 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. MissEden

MissEden Plankton

I have 2 clownfish and I just realized when I got home from the fish store that my female had ich pretty bad. They took to my Sea Anemone instantly but will the poison from the Anemone protect my 2 clowns from getting Ich any worse? Any advice would be helpful! Thanks in advance :)

2. Click Here!

3. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

Its actually a sting that the anemone produces. The only way the ich will get worse is through stress. The anemone wont do it. Soak your food in Selcon or garlic and feed your clowns to help build up the immune system. Feed to where you dont want to affect your water quality or if you do prepare to do larger water changes until the ich goes away.

On a side note ich will always be in your tank. Healthy fish along with good husbandry will aid.

4. dienerman

dienerman Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Sorry to hear that. +1 on the above advice. Good observation prior to purchase and a QT tank can help prevent these things from happening. Although any fish can arrive with ICH, some sources, like LFS that do not specialize in SW fish seem to have more problems that others. I am now very selective on where I get my fish. Keep us posted on how things turn out!!

5. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

The clown will get stung during its acclimation to the anemone which will stress it. Unfortunately this added stress and the fish trying to create a slime coat may even make the Ich worse.:(
    As long as the fish is eating it should be able to combat the parasite.Over time if no new additions are made the Ich will slowly disappear from the system.Without a host the parasite will not survive.I would hold off on making any new additions for at least 8 weeks after signs of infection have disappeared.

6. ska d

ska d Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Garlic +1. Im surprised that a clown would get ich. They are usually fairly good at fighting it off. Build up that slime coat.

7. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

advanced answer: use a quarantine tank, observe before you purchase, and use a quality LFS

8. Click Here!

9. MissEden

MissEden Plankton

So since the clowns are the only 2 fish in my 55gal so far, I can keep them in my main tank and just help them by mixing garlic guard with they're food? Or should I put them in a hospital tank and keep the salinity low? If I can combat it with them in my main I would feel a bit more at ease then having them in a smaller/damn near empty/low salinity tank.

Thanks everyone for your replies! :) <3

10. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

As long as they are eating I would leave them alone.Garlic guard will help.;)

11. MissEden

MissEden Plankton

I forgot to mention something! My Protein Skimmer is a 90gal Reef Octocpus, that must help out a lot too since its only a 55gal tank right? I just don't want my pair to die :( The Females not going into the Anemone much right now. I don't know if it's because she has Ich a lot worse than my male but he's basically not leaving my Anemone's side and shes half way on the other side of my tank. :( I don't plan on adding any more fish to my tank for a long time (5-7 weeks) so they will be the only 2 in there.

12. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

You can not lower the salinity in the tank as that will kill the anemone.

The larger of the Clown fish will be the female, that should also be the one residing in the Anemone.

A skimmer while great probably does nothing in the way of assisting you with ich.

Please make sure this is Marine Ich and not Brookynella, also if you could provide an image that would help determine disease type as well as severity.