Addressing Bryopsis with a Magnesium dose

Discussion in 'Algae' started by bigdubb, Jul 18, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

I seem to have a few isolated bryopsis colonies (is this the right verbiage) showing up in my DT. I started with dry live rock, so I'm guessing this came with some of the CuC that I added to my tank.

I'v read that the Kent Tech M is supposed to annihilate bryopsis.

• Can I just use the magnesium that is part of my 2 Part dosing system and add that to the tank?
    • If so, how much should I add?
    • Will this have any detrimental affect to the inverts and fish in my DT?
    • If I do this should I get a Mg Test to ensure the Mg gets back to acceptable levels or should I just assume that my weekly 10% water change over a few weeks would get stuff back in line?

Thanks.

2. Click Here!

3. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I know raising Mag levels can kill some algae, but go slow and keep a very close eye on your metrics. Buying a Mag kit is a great idea but the levels you are wanting to achieve won't be read on your kit. My tank always runs above 1600ppm 24/7 so no worries there.

4. oldfishkeeper

oldfishkeeper Giant Squid

Are you able to remove the rock with the algae on it? If so, I might try the peroxide method on it rather than doing a whole tank treatment right away. You remove the rock, put 3% hydrogen peroxide on the area, let it sit for about 5 - 10 minutes, rinse off with saltwater and return to the tank. The algae should go away in a few days.

5. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

This would be the safest way if possible.

6. bigdubb

bigdubb Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Unfortunately I can't. It's on some lower pieces that result in me having to tear down the whole rock structure.

I think I'll start with just raising the Mg after I get my test kit 100ppm per day raising it up to 1800. Wait a week then resume my standard weekly 10% water change and keep monitoring Mg until it's back to an acceptable level.

I was reading that some have increased the salinity of their tank during this process. What affect does this have in the raising of the Mg in the tank?

7. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

A higher salinity may help keep the Mag. in solution but it shouldn't be necessary to raise it any higher then 1.025. A week may not be long enough as Bryopsis is a tough customer.

8. Click Here!

9. Jlobes

Jlobes Coral Banded Shrimp

from what i have read...only the kent tech M, product works for this purpose. Apparently, other mags do not work(or work as well), as it has something to do with an "inert" ingredient in the kent solution.
    I have been researching myself to combat bryopsis in my own DT. have been close to ordering the kent techM but Ive been looking into the Fauna Marin Ultra Algea X as well. keep us posted.
    and good luck. its one heck of an algae

10. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

yeah, for some reason the kent tech mag is the only mag that works for this. Something else you might try is getting a lettuce sea slug. They also eat bryopsis from my own experience. Problem is it will starve to death in the tank after all algea is gone, so you need to figure out someplace to give it to once it has done its job! I am looking to get some slugs as I am now battling bryopsis myself. Good luck to you, it is a PIA

11. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

I tried raising the Mag and it worked but took a while. It came right back.Then I used this.

AlgaeFix: Aquarium Maintenance & Algae Control
    This worked like a charm for me and I noticed no ill effects to my inverts/fish however I would be very carefull using it. I think I went half the recommended dosage.Pulling as much as you can manually helps a great deal but is not fun. :(
    There are many species of Bryopsis most is unpalatable to algae eaters.bryopsis pennata being probably the worst.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  12. Jmblec2

Jmblec2 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Your saying this stuff worked on Bryopsis? How many bottles did you need?