additives

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Tyrant46290, Mar 8, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tyrant46290

Tyrant46290 Astrea Snail

ive heard a lot of people setting up drip lines into their tanks to add certain chemicals and all of that....

im curious on to what should be added and what can be added to make a reef tank better and how to set it up....

also....ive been looking around to make sure i know all the correct parameters that a reef should be although some people say some things should be higher or lower depending on soft or hard corals and all that.....

im looking at having soft corals and a lot of different coloras of coralline algae (i do know eventually it will prolly be 1 color)........

but im asking this.....

1: what chemicals would be good to have added on a regular basis
    2: what are the exact parameters i would want for coralline algae and soft corals
    3:how would i set up a chem. drip and would i have it added to the sump

2. Click Here!

3. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

A soft coral tank usually won't need additives and coralline algae will grow over time if your lighting and params are consistent. here's a link to a page about optimum water params. Hope this helps. There is a thread on here by Steve Wright where he is testing different additives and posting results. If you use the search box (upper right) using dosing and additives you will probably get your answers.;)

Reef Aquarium Water Parameters by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

4. m2434

m2434 Giant Squid

Yeah, don't need much for a softie tank really. Some soft corals, such as leathers, can actually be sensitive to alk and maybe ca. So, if your coralline does take off you may want to test for these. Also you whenever you get a new batch of salt you should mix it and test the mix to make sure it is providing the numbers you expect. As long as the batch is good though it should probably be fine to just do 10-15% weekly water changes, with no additional additives.

5. Tyrant46290

Tyrant46290 Astrea Snail