"Additives" - Recommendations please...

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by omard, Oct 15, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

[quote author=david link=board=General;num=1066230710;start=0#8 date=10/25/03 at 13:12:19]This thread got me thinkin' and it's the reef carbonate that makes my skimmer go crazy[/quote]

Really? I haven't had that problem but I add mine by dripping, how do you add it? How much are you adding?

The only time I have had skimmer freak outs is when I dosed liquid Iodine. Eventually I would just turn the skimmer off for a day to let the corals suck it up first.

2. Click Here!

3. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I put it in by the capful two capfuls twice a week! I drip in the reef buffer because thats a powder mix.I stopped using the reef carbonate just this week to see what would happen?
    Wierd thing I use kent liquid iodine 8 drops every day that dosen't seem to effect the skimmer at all?

4. reiple

reiple Fire Shrimp

Calcium --->kalwasser method. 1 TBSP to a gallon of RO/DI. Dripped. 5 ml clear vinegar added.
    Magnesium--->Bio-magnesium by Tropic Marin.
    Strontium--->Bio-strontium/Pro-Coral by Tropic Marin.
    Iodine--->SuperReef Iodine (by Seachem?). Every 15 days.
    Buffer--->Baking Soda. Seldom. When water test weird only.

Lately it seems the vinegar is feeding too much phosphate. I would like to shift to some other liquid to acidify the kalwasser. Maybe distilled vinegar? Sulfuric Acid? Suggestions?

5. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Reiple,

I'm sure you are testing before adding or at least have identified your tank's baseline and developed your dosing schedule, eh?

6. Scooterman

Scooterman Plankton

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=General;num=1066230710;start=0#2 date=10/21/03 at 21:57:15]Since using Aquacrafts Marine Environment 2 part salt I have not needed to dose anything.  A more complete salt avoids the need to dose and everything is refreshed with your regular water changes.
    [/quote]

I'm in the process of testing their MARINEMIX, hey It was free so worth me testing it. The second batch has clouded up really bad, That was last night, tonight I'll check it out again! I had to add CA but that was to be expected, I use Kent CB

7. Craig Manoukian

Scooterman,

Re: MarineMix. Keep in touch with MDPinUSa and keep us posted regarding what you find. I will test the ME2 salt later this week and post results as well.

8. Click Here!

9. Scooterman

Scooterman Plankton

Will do, I plan on testing this week, althought I'm out on the LaMotte CA, I'll use up the Saliflert kit before getting another. I have a Mag, kit on the way for Friday, I plan on changing about 30g this week sometimes. Then I'll post the results. I think I'm fighting an InBalance, iz why I'm changing so much water.

10. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

[quote author=Craig_Manoukian link=board=General;num=1066230710;start=0#2 date=10/21/03 at 21:57:15]Since using Aquacrafts Marine Environment 2 part salt I have not needed to dose anything.  A more complete salt avoids the need to dose and everything is refreshed with your regular water changes.
    [/quote]
    Can you tell me more about this slt you are using Craig?

11. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

About seachem products. I did use them at the beginning but have found that Calxmax 2 part Ionic additive works best for me and doing a water change every week 10% on an 80 gallon and use Kent Turbo Calcium when needed for a boost works great.

I have since heard many reefers on a chem forum that SeaChem additives are not so great to use on a reef aquarium. Maybe if Boomer was here he could elaborate on this subject further than little ol me can. or could hummmmmm whatever. :-/

12. Craig Manoukian