"Additives" - Recommendations please...

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by omard, Oct 15, 2003.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

After much browsing through mountains of info on web...have decided to go initallialy with the "Sea Chem" system recommended over at GARF...

re:

Sea Chem. Liquid supplements per 55 gallon

Two tablespoons Sea Chem. Reef Plus twice a week
    Two tablespoons Sea Chem. Reef Complete twice a week
    Two tablespoons Sea Chem. Reef Calcium twice a week

(more on "Top off" instructions...)

Questions:

When should I start adding? - (new tank, 55 gal, 80 lbs lr)
    How long before adding corals?
    Anything else I need to consider adding on regular basis?

THX

OmarD

2. Click Here!

3. Matt Rogers

Matt Rogers Kingfish

Sorry! I missed this post..

First thing I'd do is test your water. I would not just start putting additives in there blindly, you can do more harm than good.

Once you test, then you will have an idea on how much to add.

I use SeaChem too.

I prefer dosing my additives with the drip method. Currently I use a Kent Marine I.V. But in the past I used their mechanical float switch with great success. I add them to the evap water.

If your water checks out you could probably add a hardy coral or two pretty soon!

4. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Since using Aquacrafts Marine Environment 2 part salt I have not needed to dose anything. A more complete salt avoids the need to dose and everything is refreshed with your regular water changes.

5. omard

omard Gnarly Old Codfish

Thanks for responses...

"Testing" for the kinds of things corals seem to need is a bit beyond my ability right now...and is why I gravitated to the published "GARF system" using the SeaChem products...which they say they have been using for some time with great success.

i.e.

Tank Information:
    Tank Size = 55 Gallon

SeaChem Supplements
    Qty Description
    2 Tablespoon Reef Plus twice a week
    2 Tablespoon Reef Complete twice a week
    2 Tablespoon Reef Calcium twice a week
    1 Tablespoon Reef Advantage Calcium added to each gallon of makeup water during the 2nd and 4th weeks.
    1 Tablespoon Reef Builder added to each gallon of makeup water during the 3rd week of each month

Is for my size tank...relatively simple to keep track of...and is recommended to go w/ "Instant Ocean" - they state is a system they have used for long time...

Using another type "salt" may change needed amounts of additives, so for now am sticking to their recommended type...may not really make any difference, but I would be last to know.

Applying to tank is another matter...Matt, you say you use "drip" system...(?)...is just adding to "makeup water" ok for now?...any other considerations? i.e. filters/skimmers on/off?...(I saw note on keeping Reef Plus refridgerated...probably just a matter of time before wife/daughters try out in "soup" or something...might just be good for me...) ;D

Thanks again,

Respectfully,

OmarD

6. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

OmarD,
     I as well use Seachem products, and have a schedule.  But I find testing very valuable as PH, ALK, and CA do not always react as you would think.  I am right now fighting a low ALK problem despite my regular additives (recommended at the GARF web site).  I really do not recommend adding anything to your tank unless you know were your water parameters are and where you want them to be.

I recommend you buy
    Salifert Calcium test kit
    Salifert PH Test kit
    Salifert Carbonate hardness/Alkalinity Profi-Test  
    These three are very easy to use and will give very accurate results
    Jakets

7. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

I know I'm fairly new here. However, I tend to agree with most of the answers above. I know that Garf calls that "The Bulletproof System". My experience in this hobby indicates that nothing is bulletproof. There is so much variability in our systems. What works well on one persons tank might not on another persons tank. I use a number of Seachem products if I need to make a minor adjustment to ph, alk, ca, etc.

As far as additives are concerned, I 2nd to idea of only adding what you can test for or doing a waterchange with a balanced quality saltwater mix.

There are too many things that can happen if you experience ionic imbalances due to merely adding additives.

Just my 2 cents

8. Click Here!

9. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

I use all sea chem and some Kent Marine. The only draw back I can find is one of the sea chem products over activates my skimmer so I have to fine tune it when I dose whick is twice a week!

10. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

i use seachem stuff as well i usually do it 2 times a week also usually after the water change. then in the middle somewhere. ive used kent supplement if at the time i cant find it in seachem, kents not bad either

11. david

david Peppermint Shrimp

This thread got me thinkin' and it's the reef carbonate that makes my skimmer go crazy I also use reef buffer isn't the the buffer doing the same thing that the reef carbonate is doing in turn would it be alright to stop using the reef carbonate so I wouldn't have to mess with my skimmer so much? If I space it out and don't turn the skimmer down then my skimmer will pump out a gal plus of tank water causing my skimate container to overflow witch really sucks!!!! >:( What do you guys think?

12. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

While, I will throw out my original recommendation to test all parameters, possibly their powdered buffer would give you less problems or dripping their liquid buffer instead of dosing it would help.