Adding Supplements

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Bruce, Jun 24, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hey everyone,

Just wanted to see what people were adding out in reef land.

Besides water changes I add liquid calcium, iodine (lugal's), strontium and molybdenum as well as the kent "trace elements" which consists of a bunch of goodies hah.

I really don't do water changes very often... if ever (don't ask me how my tank is doing great :)) So i just wanted to see what people were adding.

PS: I haven't done more than 5 gal water change once in a blue moon (when my salt is low) for probably... well 3-4 years.

2. Click Here!

3. divott

divott Giant Squid

when adding these , do you test also? addin too much of one, can throw somethin else way out of wack.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

To be honest, I just tested my water for the first time in probably 2 years (everything was perfect :)) but I had gotten to the point where I knew how much to add without over or under dosing (I know I'm going to get flamed for that...) I usually use my xenia as early detection device to recognize problems. <-- but I really haven't ever had any problems with the tank at all, besides losing the coralline on the walls after the switch from PC to T-5HO

5. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

If the tank is looking good then you must be doing something right

6. RemickJ

RemickJ Teardrop Maxima Clam

I add calcium when needed and Kent Marine C.. That's about it...

7. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Yup thanks, love showing off the lazy slacker reef

[​IMG]

This was a day after some cleaning, I will take one tomorrow when the corals are all open and happy!

8. Click Here!

9. adam

adam Montipora Digitata

Tank looks great!

10. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

I forgot to mention that I DO want to start testing my waters so...

What do you all test for. Right now I have the ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, pH, and calcium. I was thinking of getting a test for alk, oxygen, and maybe iodine (SO EXPENSIVE!!!)

PS: if anyone has short fine red hair algae, get a blue tuxedo urchin. These things are machines! Its amazing how clean my rocks are after a few months of this little guy chugging around.

11. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

Anything that you are dosing needs to be tested for IMO! The frequency of testing will depend on a number of things

I dose kalk daily, magnesium twice a week and Fuel by aquavitro a couple times a week

Once the tank is established and you learn to "observe" your tank the amount of testing needed will go down dramatically. However until you learn that I feel testing is important.

For example my tanks needs dramatically changed recently. I switched to mainly SPS wiht clams and some LPS from a predominately softy tank. This meant that I needed to dose more to keep the required elements up. I started to dose 2 part daily. I was testing daily and then switched to testing a couple times a week for kH, pH and calcium. I was unable to maintain the levels at a steady rate, so I had to start to add kalk a couple times a week. Again increased my testing amount back to 3 or 4x a week. I THOUGHT I had the routine down so I dropped from a couple times a week testing to weekly testing.

I noticed that I was having cyano popping back up..so I tested my tank. My Kh dropped from 12 to 6 in 1 week, my pH dropped to 7.8 and calcium was fine.

So....back to daily testing. I dosed daily borate until the kH was back to 11. I then stopped the 2 part and switched to the current routine.

I am currently only testing kH, pH and calc about 2 to 3 times a month.

But I would not recommend dosing any supplement without having some schedule to test the levels.

12. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

Hah yeah, I suppose 5 years of no problems with the tank have spoiled me. That Fuel stuff looks awesome but I really think that switching my supp regiment might throw stuff off... (never want to mess with a good thing).