adding salt

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by euthyphro, Jan 19, 2007.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. euthyphro

euthyphro Flamingo Tongue

My rommate suggested a brilliant idea, when adding salt to your replacement water, boil it!!! if you do this in a clean pan will this work?

If that is not suggested, then how long should one let the salt sit in the container untill it is added? is it all right if i put it in a container and just shake it up once in a while or do you have to have a constant current?

2. Click Here!

3. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Adding salt to what ? If you just want to raise the tanks S.G I just toss it into the sump if you are worried about that just dissolve it into some make uo water . If its for water changes again just add it to the water and stir ot airstone it a small pump even.. But I never boiled it not sure it may effect the minerals ? I know tht would deplete all the 0'2 and the pan may leech some metals ?

4. turbo4603

turbo4603 Teardrop Maxima Clam

Plus with the constant evaporation, i would think it would be very dificult to maintain the sg stable in the mix.

5. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

I DON'T UNDERSTAND THE WHOLE BOILING THING? Your best bet for adding water(not for evaporation replacement) is to add the salt to your RO/DI water. Add an airstone and powerhead to aerate the water and dissolve the salt. Heat the water and make sure the water is at the desired salinity. Store the water in a sealed container as water absorbs airborn pollutants!

6. milesm4

milesm4 Spaghetti Worm

+1 no boiling needed, seems like it could cause more harm than good.

7. euthyphro

euthyphro Flamingo Tongue

The reason i was asking is that i am about to do a water change, and i do not have a sump... I was just wondering if i heated up all the salt i needed in a small portion of water the salt would disolve very throughly and quickly, then i just pour the heated salt in with the rest of the water...

If you guys think this could disrupt the mineral composition of the water then how long should i let it sit in the jug... just untill it all seems disolved? Would it be all right if i just put it in a jug and shook it once in a while untill it was disolved?

8. Click Here!

9. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

Any good salt mix will dissolve quickly with a powerhead. Give it a couple hours just to be safe and you should be good to go,

10. Jason McKenzie

Jason McKenzie Super Moderator

I understand I think what you mean. you would make a super saturated salt mix then just add that to room temp RO/DI until the proper SG was reached.
    Seems like a lot of work.

I know how many scoops it takes to make my water change water. I just heat some RO/DI to the correct temp and have a Power head and air stone in the bucket. I put the necessary scoops of salt and give it a day before I stir it up and measure.

J