Adding salt direct to sump/fuge at LFS!

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by Stammer, Oct 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stammer

Stammer Bristle Worm

I just had to mention this, as it goes against everything I have read on this forum. I was at an un-named "box store" yesterday and as I was looking at their fish and I couldn't help but notice an employee who was cleaning and doing tank maintenance, took a salinity sample and then opened a bottom cabinet which revealed a sump or fuge area, and then dumped in an un-measured amount of salt mix. Shortly after it seemed some of the tanks powerheads were pushing out un-mixed globs of salt and air. So much for pre=mixing huh?:eek:

2. Click Here!

3. Mr. Bill

Mr. Bill Native Floridian

WOW! Glad you're in Illinois. I think most of the ones in my area know better.

4. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

UGH!! Hate this kind of thing!

5. djbonney138

djbonney138 Peppermint Shrimp

I have seen a dude with an awesome reef tank do that. Just sprinkles in a 1/2 of cup or so. Looks at me as my mouth gapes open and says, "Oh it's cool, it will mix in there." Lol, I would never do that.

6. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

There is a local pet store with small saltwater tanks selling certain fish and anemones. There are pretty much teenagers running the show there. The tanks were covered in red slime, algae and some floaters. Really people!!? I mean when I asked them a question about phosphate removal ideas, there like, "uh well here are some test strips."!! At least at my semi-trusted LFS they are pricey, but before I buy anything they ask the basics about my tank parameters.