Adding more LEDs for better spectrum

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Biocube, Sep 4, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Those are poor examples. a 10k halide is not a led, and someone who uses a $900 orphek light which can easily be emulated by a $199 led light leads me to believe they don't know much about what they bought. The Orphek uses the same chinese bridgelux leds as the black boxes. Notice how Orphek doesn't tell you what brand the leds are exactly, while AI, Maxspect etc have no problems divulging that info. Orphek doesn't even use an optimal blend of leds, so if you think that tank looks good with that light, the tank would look even better with a better blend of leds.

Adding the right "rainbow" of colors will absolutely look just as good over those tanks, or better. Considering Anemone and I have tried multiple combinations and have seen the results of growth and color rendition firsthand, your argument falls flat and is misleading.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2012
  2. Click Here!

3. Thatgrimguy

Thatgrimguy Flying Squid

Orphek actually doesn't use someone elses led.. that's why they won't tell. It's there own design... (I still think orpek is crap though)

4. bhazard

bhazard Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

120w at around 2w per led is still pretty universal. ~9000 lumens as advertised means each led is only putting out around 160 lumens on average, which lines up with the chinese leds at 2w. They just happen to give you the privilege of overpricing the light by 600%+.

Sellers like Logan do everyone a favor by providing these lights at affordable prices without the insane markup.

5. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I am not adding green since I already have Cyan.

Thanks for the input

6. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

Thanks man ;)

7. Biocube

Biocube Giant Squid

I want to iron out some things here so we are all on the same page.

I WILL be adding two Reds and 3 UV LEDs. I did purchase green but after talking to other reefers I opted out, now this doesn't mean I won't add it down the road to see what it looks like.

Please keep in mind I am working with an open template that can be changed at any time, if I add a color or notice my coral not doing so well I can go in and change it.

The point to this entire project is to have fun and enjoy the outcomes.

8. Click Here!

9. Sacul1573

Sacul1573 Millepora

The beauty of DIY projects... carry on! :beer:

10. cosmo

cosmo Giant Squid

I now have 4 greens on my 90 and love the addition, although I'm sure cyan would've added the same! My elegance and blasto have def colored up and look better! Time will tell how growth goes but I'm guessing by the corals reactions it will be good! Everything in my tank looks better now that I have a full spectrum! This is what I love about LEDs! The ease of changing the spectrum as needed;)