Adding Moon LEDS

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by Bruce, Jan 11, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

hello...i have a pc lighting thingy...the one with 4 moon lights...but they r the white ones do u think if i add some blue ones would it have a positive effect on corals or just make it look better? also can u change LEDs from lighting systems?

2. Click Here!

3. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

yes you can change them. but you have to be a little electronicaly inclined. as you have to have a volt meter and a good soldering iron. if you still want to do this you must first find the 470nm blue led's. then take your system apart to get to your led boards. im sure that they wont have the polarity on the board so you will have to check this with your multi meter. then desolder the leds, replace them with the blue. remember that you MUST use the correct polarity or they will not work. then put everything back togther.

4. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

"brain explodes..." ok thanks lol i dont think im gona do that...:)

5. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

i hear ya. i know how it may seem a little difficult. but if you have a friend that knows electronics ask them what they think. they may hook you up one time!!!!!

6. jnbahwkins

jnbahwkins Fire Worm

what color are the moonlights in coralife fixtures.

7. tresguey

tresguey Fire Worm

thr ones i have are blue.

8. Click Here!

9. Bruce

Bruce Giant Squid

mine r white...they r nice but eh well...i would like a little blue :(

10. Mr._Bond

Mr._Bond Feather Duster

So, I was going to post this question on it's own post, but this seemed appropriate... Does the blue versus white moon lights make a difference or is it just asthetics (looks)? I was looking into buying new lights and was about commit to the Current Orbit, but they have the white moon lights. Don't know if I should go with the Coralife because of the blue or not (my cost is very important, as I have a limited budget). The moonlights are the thing that's making me hesitate on the Orbit... Any advice as soon as possible (my sale ends in 5 hours), would be greatly appreciated.