Adding mag

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by RHorton, Jan 6, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Ok I got my mag test kit today and my mag is 1200, the supplement I have is
    Kent tech m mag, it says to add 1m/l (1/4tsp) per gallon to raise the level between 1250 and 1350 but my measuring devices say 5 m/l = tsp, isn't it suppose to be 4 m/l if 1 m/l = 1/4 tsp?:confused:

2. Click Here!

3. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

1 person likes this.
  4. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

yes I know about the calculator but what I am questioning is the measurements.

5. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I don't know the answer to your question, but I do know that 1/2 cup epsom salt raises my magnesium 55-60 ppm and it's cheap too!

1 person likes this.
  6. Bogie

Bogie Snowflake Eel

my measuring devices say 5 m/l = tsp, isn't it suppose to be 4 m/l if 1 m/l = 1/4 tsp?

I think you're trying to split a hair here. It's not that critical that the mag be dead-on any particular exact number. When someone says get your mag to 1450, that means 1430-1470 is probably just fine as well. 1/4 tablespoon won't make that big a difference for you. Don't sweat the small stuff and just try to enjoy the hobby. I use epsom salt like BMSHEHAN up there^.

1 person likes this.
  7. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

Thanks for the replies guys. I plan on using epsom salt once this bottle is gone allot cheaper. This is the first time I have messed with the mag so I wasn't sure how critical it was.

8. Click Here!

9. bmshehan

bmshehan Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I've heard of people keeping their mag anywhere from 1300-1800 so like Bogie said just get it close. I personally like to keep mine around 1500. I bought 1 3lb. bag of epsom salt about 6 months ago for $3 and still have some, which makes my wallet happy :)!!

10. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Hi, I use Tech M and here is the label;
    Kent Marine Tech-M

General Information:
    Tech•M Magnesium supplement is a ionically balanced product which will safely raise the magnesium level in any marine system without upsetting the ionic balance of the system. Tech•M is very concentrated, containing over 70,000 ppm of cationic magnesium and is nitrate, phosphate, and gluconate free.
    Directions for Use:
    Important: Shake vigorously immediately prior to use.
    The preferred method is to test the magnesium level in your aquarium first and then add Tech•M at the rate of 1 ml per gallon aquarium capacity per day to bring the level to between 1250 and 1350 ppm. This will raise the level by 18.4 ppm per day. As a routine supplement, if not testing, add two teaspoons (2 capfuls or 10 ml) per 50 gallons tank capacity every week in all marine systems.

I don't see anything about 1/4 teaspoon. I checked my bottle and it has the label I posted here. Just add 1ml per gallon of tank water.

11. RHorton

RHorton Pajama Cardinal

well my label says
    IMPORTANT:Shake well before using.Add 1 mL(1/4 tsp) per gallon of aquarium capacity each day to bring the level between 1250 an 1350 ppm.

I wouldn't have posted it if it didn't have it on it.;)
    but yeah I just added m/l per gallon.

12. james37128

james37128 Coral Banded Shrimp

You said you know about the calculator on here but did you use it? 1 ml per gallon is not going to even put a dent in your need. Directions on bottles are always very conservative. You have to use A LOT of Tech M to raise mag. Punch your numbers in the calculator, it will tell you you need to use 689 ml to raise your mag from 1200 to 1350. If you have the higher consentrated Kent M, then use half that. So what I would do is add 345ml, test and see where you are the next day. Then follow up the same way, if it raised it about half (from 1200ppm to 1275ppm) Then you know you should add another of the same dose to get it up to 1350.