Adding Live Sand

Discussion in 'Sand' started by SyntheticBreed, Oct 12, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

I have got my tank ready for the sand and am adding it later today. I know how to add it but what I dont know is how long should I turn off the powerhead and when should I setup my protein skimmer after the sand is added, or do I wait till I add the live rock to turn on the protein skimmer?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

If this is a newly set up tank I would add the sand and leave the protein skimmer off until the tank is fully cycled.

The order in which I do it is: Sand, rock and lastly water. "Live sand" is not going to make a dramatic difference in the length of your cycle. Fully cured live rock and a source of decay such as fish food will be much more effective IMO.

4. SyntheticBreed

SyntheticBreed Feather Duster

so leave the protein skimmer off even after I add the live rock, that would leave just the power head active correct?

5. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Yes you are correct.

Personally I have always run the skimmer during a cycle because I felt it gave the skimmer time to break in prior to the introduction of livestock.

Today the common consensus is, the skimmer should remain off as it remove organic matter that contributes to the completion of the nitrogen cycle, there by possibly depriving the beneficial of their nutritional source leading to slower growth of the biological filter.

6. luisgo

luisgo Astrea Snail

I am one of those that feel the skimmer should be on since the first day. Yes it will remove oganics that help in the cycle but I prefer a longer cicle with a cleaner tank. If you leave the skimmer off DONT turn on the lights or you will have algae all over the place!