adding live rocks

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by dennit, Nov 20, 2005.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. dennit

dennit Plankton

just want to know how much live rock would i be able to add to a new tank
    8x2x2

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

It's up to you and how large your Wallet/pocketbook is. Thats a about a 240 gallon tank. Are you going with fish only or are you planning on a reef with coral tank? I would start out with at least 150 lbs of rock. There are different grades of rock also. The BASE rock which costs less because it doesnt have all the pretty corals and sponges on it and Decorator rock which does. To save some money, buy base rock for the bottom of the tank and to build the foundation and place the decorator rock on top.
    Welcome to 3reef. Keep asking and reading.

Jim

Spread the Karma around.

4. dennit

dennit Plankton

thanks for the reply.. yea im planning on starting up a reef all the newbie corals. prolly end up using all decorative rocks
    another question.
    ive just got four 4ft 40watt marine light would that limit the coral i could have?

thanks again

5. Diver_1298

Diver_1298 Eyelash Blennie

That kind of light is way to small and dim for any type of coral tank :eek: :eek:
    Seriously, if it were a fish only tank even the fish would be asking for flashlights :tongue4: Just kidding
    Unfortunately, Lighting is one of the most important and most expensive single items in a reef tank. If you plan on keeping any light hungry corals you will need to buy about 8 t-5 fluorescents bulbs or if you want, a combination of metal halides and compact fluorescents.
    If you are only going to keep corals that need just a little light, you might be able to get away with two four foot long aqualight deluxe fixtures
    http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=53408&IDProductRelationship=284
    Here is a picture of a combination metal halide and blue compact fluorescent fixture.
    http://www.esuweb.com/cardfile.asp?ItemNumber=53510&IDProductRelationship=313
    The longest fixture this maufacturer makes is 6 foot. So you would have to find a way to hang it because your tank is 8 foot long. Or you could buy two four footers and hang them end to end.
    I would do a lot of research before making a purchase. Look at other peoples tanks if you can and ask questions.

Jim

Last edited: Nov 21, 2005
  6. dennit

dennit Plankton

thanks for all you help diver..

7. Blade_Runner

Blade_Runner Gigas Clam

For reference, I'm putting 150 of base and 150 maybe 200 of live in my 300.

Diver is right on with the lighting. The good thing is your tank isn't too deep. It saves you a little on lighting.