Adding Live Rock

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by Mataeo1783, Apr 12, 2013.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Mataeo1783

Mataeo1783 Plankton

Bought a 75 gallon tank to be picked up tomorrow. The guy is giving me all his water and fish and crushed coral, but he does not have any rock. Can I just buy live rock from my local fish store and put it right in the tank?

2. Click Here!

3. xJamesC28

xJamesC28 Bristle Worm

Yep! You can. Just be aware that you should try add as much Live Rock at once as you can because if the Live Rock isn't Properly Cured and you add it in, Let's say 4 Months later, Then it will most likely cause another cycle, Which you don't want :)

1 person likes this.
  4. Astrick117

Astrick117 Stylophora

It may also be a good idea to add bottled bacteria to the tank at the same time to help boost the bacterial population.

I would also not reuse the crushed coral, get new stuff. Old substrate usually traps all kinds of stuff that will get kicked up when you move it. Also CC, tends to become a nitrate trap...sand works much better, but thats you're call.

1 person likes this.
  5. Mataeo1783

Mataeo1783 Plankton

Thanks for your help! I do intend to get rid of the CC and use sand. Can't wait for tomorrow!!

6. xJamesC28

xJamesC28 Bristle Worm

Enjoy it!