Adding Gobies ( How soon and What types)

Discussion in 'New To The Hobby' started by fletch, Apr 11, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Adding Gobies ( How soon and What types to start with)

Hi I would like to have some gobies in my tank at some point, I know that it is way to soon as my tank has not even cycled yet.  ;D But can anyone give me an idea as to what types are good to start with as There Are Soooooooo many. And How soon you would add them to a new tank?

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

Fletch,

Need the specs on your tank. All the information possible and we'll be able to better answer your question.

You can add your tank specs/descrition to your profile and you won't have to repeat the same information. Most helpful, thanks!

4. karlas

karlas Fire Goby

most gobies are pretty hardy and good beginner fish but if you decide on some sand diggers it would be a good idea to make sure your rock is secure. i placed my rock on the glass and put the sand around it sometimes they will dig under the sand if the rock is just on top and may topple the rock.

5. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

That is something to think about Karla!!  I have seen were some people cut 1" PVC pipe length wise and put it under there sand side by side with the ( U ) side facing down and put there rock on top of that.  

PS Is that better Craig? ;D Thanks for the tip :D

6. Craig Manoukian

Muchas Gracias and yes you can use PVC to stabilize the rock.

7. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

I would like to get some diggers also but there are so many gobies I don't know what are the most beneficial to the system and ( Of course I do want the cute ones that entertain you)  Craig recommended the fire fish and I do think 1 or 2 of them will be part of my system.  Any other suggestions?  anybody?  

8. Click Here!

9. Craig Manoukian

A pair of Watchman Gobies, male and female, and three or four Purple Fire Fish would be a good combination.

10. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Hi Craig I checked out the Purple Fire fish I like them too. There are a Few different Watchman Gobies I like the Yellow Watchman (Cryptocentrus cinctus) so far.I think the mix of the fire fish and the purple fire fish will be nice ( I hope they get along together) :D

11. Craig Manoukian

I just got a pair of these Sleeper Banded Gobies for my refugium. Photo courtesy of www.liveaquaria.com Your fish should get along fine as they will not compete for swim space or territory.

[​IMG]

12. fletch

fletch Kole Tang

Well that sounds like a nice mix on the fire fish, Now I am going to go and check out a LFS that is about 30 miles from me it is supposed to have a good verity of Marine fish, I have never been there so I am going to ask some questions and get a feel for the place. Any Pointers that you can give me on what to look for and what to ask would be appreciated

I am going to start a new thread.
    What to look for in a LFS (under the Newbie forum)

Just so we don't get off the topic ;D