Adding dry rock to established tank?

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by ZC42, Feb 21, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ZC42

ZC42 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

Hey guys,

I have about 37-40 lbs of LR right now on my 46 g. I'd like to maybe put in 10+ lbs of rock into the tank, and it can be dry rock. Question is, if I use cured Lr and maybe spray it with a hose when it arrives and let it dry, can I add it directly to the tank? (its already running with 3 fish and a large CUC)

Thanks!

2. Click Here!

3. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I would just use straight up dry rock. if you dry your rock out you will still have a spike from the die off inside the rock. plus why spend the extra on LR if you want dry?

4. SnooknRedz

SnooknRedz Vlamingii Tang

If it is 100% dry. rinse it with rodi and scrub her with a toothbrush (that isnt yours lol) set it in the sun to dry and pop it in. Dry rock wont hurt the tank much, if at all. then it will be LR soon.

5. ZC42

Sorry that's what I meant. Anyone know a good site for this?

6. SnooknRedz

BRS and Marco rocks come to mind. Check LFS, the ones here in Florida, well near me anyway, carry identical stuff usually.

7. ZC42

Will do, but mine I believe only sells rocks for FW (like white ones)

8. Click Here!

9. SnooknRedz

bummer dude. either site mentioned should hook u up. I plan on ordering from marco soon if my lfs doesn't have a selection.

10. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

this is Dry rock for Fresh or more so for SW.
    Cheap very porous and beautiful
    http://i.ebayimg.com/t/Marco-Rocks-Key-Largo-dry-rock-Live-rock-New-Lower-Price-129-50Lb-box-/00/s/NjAwWDYwMA==/$(KGrHqQOKjgE6RdHWLSuBOrU5EN46!~~60_35.JPG

11. mikev15101

mikev15101 Purple Spiny Lobster

I used reefcleaners, they had a great product plus they are a sponsor.

12. tunamike

tunamike Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Sorry to dig up this thread guys... I just didnt want to start a new one for no reason. Ok so I ordered some dry rock from reefrocks and am finishing up making the aquascape additions... heres my question... I pressurewashed all the rocks off and have made a couple aquascapes to add to my current sysem... just want to make it look better than 4 big rocks. in your opinions should i just go ahead and add them watching the water params, or should i cure the rock for a week or so in some ocean water with a powerhead? or should i just put it in.

I need to start a tank thread... tank was a transfer in august... now have leather, sinularis, rics, yumas, zoos, palys(i think), frogspawn, and some monitporas (7), mystery wrasse, mimic brown tang, and plenty of cuc...75 gallon, 2x 120w full spectrum led's, bubble magus curve 5 skimmer, 20 gal wed/dry (about to make 40g fuge/berlin sump).