Adding DIY LED strip to existing T5 fixture -Done! post #21

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by tharsis, Dec 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

Done! Finished it late last night.

[​IMG]

Added some electrical tape to the 60 degree optics because they were clear housing (Thanks for the tip exactly!):
    [​IMG]

Obligatory pic of them on:
    [​IMG]

Attached to the fixture
    [​IMG]

Facing the right way
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

On the tank:
    [​IMG]

I haven't tested them out yet, looking forward to try them out when I get home from work. I am probably going to have to raise the fixture up to avoid any spotlighting. I am also wondering if I will need a fan... time to gut my old pc.

2. Click Here!

3. tharsis

Here are some pics with the fixture in action. I ended up switching to the 90 degree optics because the 60's were giving to much spotlighting. This is much better but there is still a bit, so I think I may raise the whole fixture 4"-5".

All pics were taken with the identical camera settings. The lights definitely add more color.

Just the LEDS @ 100%
    [​IMG]

LEDs @100% with one set of T5 bulbs (10000K and actinic)
    [​IMG]

LEDs @100% with all 4 T5HO bulbs
    [​IMG]

Just the T5's
    [​IMG]

Close up my favia:
    Just the LEDS @ 100%
    [​IMG]

LEDs @100% with one set of T5 bulbs (10000K and actinic)
    [​IMG]

LEDs @100% with all 4 T5HO bulbs
    [​IMG]

Just the T5's
    [​IMG]

Just LEDs at lowest power
    [​IMG]

Overall I am quite happy with it, I get a softer shimmer from less LED's and I can combine the LED spectrum with various different T5 bulbs. I ordered a 420 nm bulb...but I am not sure if it will replace the white or the actinic bulb.

Question: The LEDS are running a little warm at full blast even with a fan. I measured it at around 90C after a couple hours on full blast. Is this too hot? Any lower settings and the leds don't get above 85C.

4. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Great job, tharsis!!!

According to the Cree XP data sheet, the maximum junction temperature is 150 degrees Celsius (302F). But remember, its the diode itself. Heatsink should be way lower than that. The cooler, the better nonetheless.

5. tharsis

I think I may get another fan then.

6. zoo 4 life

zoo 4 life Coral Banded Shrimp

That's a great idea! Looks really good on your tank!

Thanks for the update!

7. dtesenair

dtesenair Plankton

I know it's a little too late but I did a similar DIY light strip but used two pieces of aluminum channel that I riveted together to form my heat sink. It gives more surface area than a single square tube. I'm running 12 3W Cree LED's on my strip and it is only warm to the touch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Anyway, great job on your build. The LED's really make the coral colors pop!

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

Is putting electrical tape on the side of the optics good or bad, thoughts on this?

10. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

I dont see any harm on that. The clear optics are not great to block the side spillage.

11. tharsis

dtesenair: Great idea on the aluminum channel! It looks really great!

The electrical tape helps ALOT. Even on the white walled optics (atleast the ones I had) there was tons of light spillage, and it was really annoying to be in the room unless the whole fixture was covered. The tape eliminates all of this light loss except for an itty bitty bit just at the base.

I think I am going to tweak my set-up a little up. I find that the LED bar is a little too close to the T5 unit for the height that I am at, I get some light that hits the fixture and I don't get full coverage in the upper part of the tank as a result. I may try to lower the position of the LED bar so that it is flush with the bottom of the fixture.