Adding DIY LED strip to existing T5 fixture -Done! post #21

Discussion in 'LED Aquarium Lighting' started by tharsis, Dec 30, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. NanoMano

NanoMano Gigas Clam

I would drill it personally, you'd probably get away with 3-4 holes. safest bet.

2. Click Here!

3. tharsis

tharsis Peppermint Shrimp

This project has stopped before it got started... I decided to go with a full 36 LED dimmable unit from aquastyles instead.

4. tharsis

OK well this project is being resurrected... I have some aquastyle LED's (9 RB and a bunch of CW) with a maxwell dimmer and potentiometer.

This is what I am thinking of doing:

[​IMG]

I think that square aluminum tubing should be good for a heatsink...something like this:
    [​IMG]

I can screw the struts to the side of the fixture (I don't mind screwing to the fixture) and then I just need to find a way to attach the heatsink to the struts so that it can rotate. This will allow me to 'point' my leds where I want them depending on the height of the fixture.

I am going to wander around lowes today looking for some inspiration but if anyone has any ideas please share!

5. tharsis

I didn't make it to lowes today, I got distracted at the fish store and bought a Mollie lol. So no ideas for what I could use to have a pivoting LED bar?

6. tharsis

Alright well I think that this will be easier than I thought. I just did a quick proof of concept here.

Here are my starting materials:

[​IMG]

Attached L-bracket to a straight bracket. It is tight but the angle is adjustable
    [​IMG]

I am going to drill holes in the square tube and then screw the brackets to that.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For now I am just duct taping it to see how it works.
    [​IMG]

Attached together
    [​IMG]

rotated to adjust the angle of the LEDS
    [​IMG]

Duct taped to my light fixture (again temporary)
    [​IMG]

I will screw it into the side of the fixture. There is enough room on the ends to allow for a nut and screw. The whole unit is very light weight so it shouldn't put too much stress on the plastic.

Close up of the angle of the bar
    [​IMG]

example with 60 degree optics
    [​IMG]

I may bring the brackets out a bit more to limit light hitting the top of the fixture. I think I will paint the whole thing black so that it blends in with the fixture.

So it is almost ready for the LEDs!

This is a super easy retrofit, it is light weight and cheap ~ $15 in materials.

7. exactlyobp

exactlyobp Giant Squid

Duct tape for the win!!! LOL

Looking good and versatile!!

8. Click Here!

9. tharsis

lol thanks...the duct tape is temporary, just wanted to see how it would be. BUT to be honest, the bar is so light weight that duct tape would be enough to hold it together! Just not very aesthetically pleasing.

For any Red Green fans, this temporary set-up is for you!

Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  10. tharsis

Alright, got it painted and screwed, I am quite pleased with it. I couldn't find any drill bits for attaching the L-bracket to the heatsink so I just crazy glued it and then wrapped it with duct tape. Screwing it would have been more professional but it is really solid and and I am not too worried about it.

[​IMG]

Amazingly, the holes on the bracket lined up perfectly with the screws in the fixture so I didn't have to drill anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I just need to add in the LEDS and the wire them up and its all done! It should be up and running by tomorrow.

11. merlangshane

merlangshane Plankton

Looks awesome! Can't wait to see finished product.

12. tharsis

Thanks! Me too! I hope to get it all soldered and wired this afternoon.