Adding detrivore to keep ssb healthy

Discussion in 'Sand' started by saltyg, Oct 24, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. saltyg

saltyg Flamingo Tongue

Was thinking about adding a detrivore kit for my ssb. I'm kinda torn. Thinking some sand clams, bristle worms, mabye some moma Mia worms. Little background tank is about 2 months old this time I went with dry sand and dry rock. Only thing that I added was pods and nass snails so far and some mini brittles. I do not really clean tge sand only If by chance there's done cyano on it or something but so far sand is staying bueatiful. Just wondering what to add to keep sand bed healthy? Thanks

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

I would not add the clams, they can die and contribute to a decline in water quality. It was a bad fad.

Mini-brittle stars will live among the rocks and not in the sand for the most part.

As far as keeping the sand bed healthy, good flow maintain, low levels of nitrates and phosphates.

Bristle worms will also appear out of no where and are an excellent part of the cuc IMO.

4. Dfost115

Dfost115 Astrea Snail

Get a kole tang! Hopefully your tank is big enough because these guys are the best detrivores. There are a few other tang species that are detrivores too, but my blue eye kole tang has been awesome. He does not let poo hit the floor. He is his own clean up crew haha.

5. saltyg

saltyg Flamingo Tongue

Lol dfrost that's great. For some reason I was under the impression that a ssb had to be turned over by critters to stay healthy but seems I was misinformed. Saving my money lol. Thanks for the input