adding base rock to an established aquarium

Discussion in 'Live Rock' started by nc208082, Jan 29, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

so i went to a random lfs and purchased 15 lbs of base rock to add to my dt. ive been curing the rock for about 2 weeks now, but the ammonia level is still very high. do i need to wait for this to drop before i can start adding to my dt tank. btw the tank is 120 gallon with 160 lbs of live rock already in it.

my second question is i think they sold me some rock that would be bad for my tank, because after 2 weeks curing it looks like its oxidizing. theres a brown rust appearing all over it. rock had a red tinge to it but the guy told me it was from carib sea so it would be safe. what can you all tell me?

Attached Files:

2. Click Here!

3. hasek1639

hasek1639 Fire Shrimp

ok to me i would never put that in my tank. it looks like something i would pull from my creek. Looks like metal deposits all over it. who ever is telling you this is ok i would questions majorly.

4. Peredhil

Peredhil Giant Squid

that guy is a liar. I wouldn't let that stuff in my tank.

5. con999

con999 Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

that is not base rock... baserock has nothing alive one it. its just bleached rock. their sould be no ammonia

6. trijam

trijam Coral Banded Shrimp

That rock would be questionable for even a freshwater tank. I would take it back and ask to speak to the manager. Clearly his employee is hurting his business. You will probably get a bigger credit than you paid for the rock.;)

7. bvb-etf-luva

bvb-etf-luva Banned

that is some crap rock even for base rock, and from the looks of it is a sedimentary rock, and those are toxic to all aquariums. dont put it in and complain to the lfs.

8. Click Here!

9. ReefBruh

ReefBruh Giant Squid

That is definitely slate rock. Shouldn't even be in the same room of the house with your tank.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

10. nc208082

nc208082 Zoanthid

well that was my thought, i have never used base rock before. my lfs(big als) was getting rid of there fiji rock so the guy cut me a deal and sold me 150 lbs for $2 a pound so i started my tank off with all live rock. I had only known it needed to be a high limestone quality for base rock.

so since that piece is crap is the rest of this crap too?

Attached Files:

11. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

I wouldn't use any of that rock.

I just thought everyone should know he first one looks like a steak.

12. Brennan

Brennan Gigas Clam

I wouldn't use any of it personally.