Adding a new filter to an existing tank

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Lady J, Aug 7, 2012.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Hi all,

I have a 30g. tank and am running a penguin 200 biowheel for filtration. The tank just finished its cycle last week.

I don't believe this is enough flow for my plants so was wondering if I could add another 200 biowheel to increase flow and double the filtration as well.

If I put the new one in, say, today, would I be starting a new cycle?

2. Click Here!

3. Corailline

Corailline Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef.

You could add another if you want without worrying about starting another cycle.
    You could also just add a power head to the tank to increase the flow.

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Welcome to 3reef

Good info from Corailline

5. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Thanks for your responses! :)

I have a gazillion powerheads from when I was running my reef tank (just recently tore it down and now am just running a planted freshwater system). But, those powerheads are wayyyy too strong for this tank---even one would blow my betta right out of the water.

So, I would need to buy a new nano powerhead which made me think, well, if I'm going to spend some money on a new powerhead, why not just buy another filtration system instead. Does this make sense? lol

6. Corailline

Sure it makes sense.

The only draw back I see is the space another filter will take up and the appearance. But if you're ok with that, or the tank was a back round or the back is painted that should not be much of an issue.

Hard to go wrong with more filtration.

7. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Cool, I'm going to go buy another one. ;D

The one I currently have is running on the back of the tank. I spray painted the back of my tank black so you can barely see the intake tube or the heater's black cord. It almost looks like there is nothing in there that's not natural (plants, driftwood, etc.).

Ok, not trying to be stupid here, but are you sure this new filter won't start a cycle? I only have a betta in there but I'd sure hate to lose him.

8. Click Here!

9. Corailline

No the it will not start a cycle.

For ammonia to be produced you need either the bi-products of metabolism or decaying matter. A new filter will produce neither of those things. It will become seeded with beneficial bacteria over time just as the first filter did but it will not add any organic matter to the system, which is needed to initiate the nitrogen cycle.

10. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

You have just made me a very happy lady! ;D Thank you for explaining this to me. I ran a reef for almost 10 years but this freshwater stuff is new (well, I ran a freshwater tank ~ 20 years ago but who can remember that far back lol). I just wanted to be sure and I really appreciate your help. Again, thank you.

11. Corailline

Sure no problem.

Nitrogen cycles are pretty much all the same be fresh or salt.

Just do not over feed or over stock initially and you should be able to avoid new tank syndrome.

12. Lady J

Lady J Peppermint Shrimp

Ok corailline, can you talk again? I experimented with moving the filter over to 1/3 or the tank vs. 1/2 just to see if there would be more plant movement in that area. I see no change at all. What the heck?! I don't want to go buy one if all I'm basically doing is surface agitation. The plants in that 1/3 area still aren't gently flowing. Maybe a little powerhead is a better choice. What do you think?