Adding a Fuge.....

Discussion in 'Refugium' started by CowboyUp, Jan 25, 2004.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

[smiley=builder2.gif] I am planning on adding a refugium to my 135gal as soon as I can get it all figured out. I don't have a lot of room, but does anyone think that a 20gal fuge would work ok? I know they say that bigger is better, but I am limited to space.

Any [smiley=help.gif] would be GREATLY appreciated!

CowboyUp [smiley=cowboy.gif]

2. Click Here!

3. Craig Manoukian

Craig Manoukian Giant Squid

You can do anything with big enough pumps. If no room under the tank is there room above on a heavy duty shelf, or a remote fuge in another room or downstairs/basement?

4. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Hey Craig,

I'm not sure if I would attempt above the tank, it would be pretty high with the canopy and everything. I guess beside the tank would be an option, as long as I could get my wife to go for it [smiley=biglaugh.gif] ! I was planning on putting it under the tank in the cabinet. Big enough pumps??? I thought that slow water movement through the fuge was ideal???

Thanks,

5. NUGIO

NUGIO Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

hey bud did the stand pipe work out?

6. Land_Fish

Land_Fish Guest

Anything is better than nothing at all. Just what is under your tank right now?
    I saw alot of plastic tub at wal-mart this past week end and thought were running through my head at what I could do with them. I a bulk head is needed then plastic is much easier to cut a hole for it then drill the glass tank. And cheaper :D

7. Craig Manoukian

[quote author=CowboyUp link=board=Refugium;num=1075099047;start=0#2 date=01/26/04 at 20:43:50]Big enough pumps??? I thought that slow water movement through the fuge was ideal???
    [smiley=cowboy.gif][/quote]

Big enough to accomodate the head pressure in distance or resistance. Proper baffling will keep the flow low.

8. Click Here!

9. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Thanks for the idea Nautilus. I too have had a head full of ideas when I see all of the different sizes of plastic tubs. I'm sure I could figure out something to do with a tub. But how can you glue/silicone dividers into a tub? I'm designing something a little different and I'm planning on using dividers/shelfs. I'm not exactly how it will turn out yet but experimenting is part of the enjoyment!

The only thing under my tank right now is my sump, so I have the other half of my cabinet to use.

10. Craig Manoukian

I used aquarium silicone to glue my plexiglass dividers to my glass tank.

11. CowboyUp

CowboyUp Fire Worm

Craig-

That was one of my first ideas. But I've heard from a few people that you can't silicone plexiglass to regular glass; they say it won't last??? I'm really getting confused now, too many conflicting reports. Maybe I should just try...and try again!

12. Phil5613

Phil5613 Purple Spiny Lobster

You can silicone plexi to glass, I have also used reef epoxy in spots and then silicone sealed the rest this works well wit odd shapes or large sections and lasts forever. Or at least as long as I needed it.

Attached Files: