Added ATS when to do Water Changes?

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by felixfish, Nov 2, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

I added an Algae Turf Scrubber about a week and a half ago. I cleaned off the screen once, and had some initial dark brown growth. I have read that if your main purpose is to lower Nitrates & Phosphates then I only have to worry about a 5% water change annually?? I'm running low on salt and wonder if i need to place an order.

2. Click Here!

3. insanespain

insanespain Ocellaris Clown

I don't know where you read that. Water changes are always a debated topic. But in regards to the scrubber, it will keep your nitrates and phosphates down once it is established. Until then, if you are getting dark growth instead of green, it is because of high nutrient levels, and some water changes can help get those down to a reasonable level to give the scrubber a chance to get going. I wouldn't say a scrubber is a magical no-water change solution. But it can make them a lot less necessary once it is dialed in properly.

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk

4. felixfish

felixfish Bristle Worm

Ok thanks, I do have some green algae on my rocks, and small patches of red slime on some rocks. I would imagine the better the water, the less likely those type of algae can survive. I was doing weekly changes, but my tds readings were probably up due to old filters in my RO unit. I will probably do bi-weekly changes until things get better.

5. khowst

khowst Bangghai Cardinal

Keep in mind that a water change isnt just to dilute nitrates & phosphates. A water change also refresh & adds trace elements that are diluted thru comsumption and evaporation. I run an ATS and have gotten away from the religious water changes myself. I do mine around 10% around once a month. Alot of if doesnt relate to the ATS it relates (imo) to expereince ver time you'll start to notice when the corals dont look at thier best, or fish dont seem as vibrant. I am not advocating to use health as a measurement, just saying expereince of what to look for will guide you.