Add to my current clean up crew

Discussion in 'Reef Cleaners' started by civiccars2003, Mar 3, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. civiccars2003

civiccars2003 Great Blue Whale

I currently have two Nassarius snails, two med size turbos, five bubble bee snails, cleaner shrimp, pistol shrimp, and lawnmower blenny for a cuc.

I bought an orange stripe prawn goby. The only thing I can get it to eat is rods fish food. The fish loves it, problem being is it's created some unwanted algae.

My tank is a 55 gallon w/20 gallon fuge. Have about 65 lbs of live rock. I keep mainly lps and softies. The tank setup has been going for seven months. I run a 4 bulb t5 lighting from current USA.

What can you recommend?

2. Click Here!

3. johnmaloney

johnmaloney 3reef Sponsor

what kind of algae are you dealing with?

4. civiccars2003

It's similar to the attached picture. I have some red mixed as well. It's not bad, only in the sand bed. It tends to grow more in dead spots.

I never had it until I started feeding my goby.

Edit: sorry for the poor pic. When I get home, I will upload a better from my tank. The pic was taken from the Internet.

Attached Files:

5. johnmaloney

ok just some cyano. higher alk more flow will help discourage its growth. GFO and the like will help reduce the phosphates it will feed on, and this crew should eat it:

30 Dwarf Ceriths
    9 Nassarius to help your prawn goby with feedings, these guys like rods food too. :) lucky snails...
    26 Florida Ceriths
    15 Nerites

6. civiccars2003

Forgot to mention I have ten red hermits. Sorry.

My alk has always been a bit low. I will work on raising it.

7. civiccars2003

This is what on my sand bed in a few places. It's much more red then the picture shows.

Attached Files:

8. Click Here!

9. johnmaloney

i would leave it about the same, i gave you about a medium crew before, but if you have that much. hermits arent all that great at cyano, the snails will do a better job

10. civiccars2003

Well I bought the suggested clean up crew. Thanks John.

When it arrives, I will give an update.

11. Los1980

Los1980 Purple Spiny Lobster

Hey guys i have had my CUC for 3 months now and these snails are pooping twice as much as my fish?!?!?!? is this n ormal? i think because of them my nitrate levels won't go down to zero they stay at a steady 20. One snail almost the size of a golf ball now. their poop is ALL over the place.

12. johnmaloney

try to cut back on the algae and they wont have as much to let out, water changes that siphon out that waste will help to both lower nitrates and clean it. snails wont lower nitrates and are likely to increase them as they consume algae that would otherwise be consuming nitrates. clean the snail poo and the cycle may stop for you. does that make sense? wording is a bit rough, but I think I got it....hopefully :)