Activated Carbon Thoughts

Discussion in 'Water Chemistry' started by NASAGeek, Aug 30, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. blackraven1425

blackraven1425 Giant Squid

Agree with this sentiment. Beyond just the amount of livestock, I'd mention certain specific livestock that shouldn't be kept without carbon, like allelopathic corals.

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

Interesting... in the reading I did thus far, I didn't see any mention based on stock load or type of stock. It makes sense... but hadn't read that yet.

That is why I do these notes... to write down what I've learned and let others challenge it. I always learn something and get some new prespective.

Thanks
    Mark

4. blackraven1425

Probably not. But most people wouldn't consider that on a low water change tank, without carbon, palytoxin and other chemicals used in allelopathy can build up to concentrations that aren't even safe for the maker of the toxin.

5. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

I just went and read about allelopathic corals... didn't know that word. Learned something new.

Wouldn't carbon filter out the allelochemicals ? Thus I guess you are saying that we SHOULD filter the allelochemicals out to minimize chemical warfare amongst our corals.

Is that what you are saying??

Mark

6. blackraven1425

Yes, it would filter the allelochemicals used in the chemical warfare. That's why I said that allelopathic corals shouldn't be kept without carbon.

I know I wouldn't want that stuff dispersed throughout my tank, gradually building up to the point of having problems with corals and other livestock suffering a constant barrage of poison.

7. NASAGeek

NASAGeek Eyelash Blennie

GREAT inputs!! Updated blog entry accordingly.

Thanks
    Mark

8. Click Here!

9. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Ah, now that is the evidence of an intelligent person.........

"A strong debate, equipped with knowledge and ideas, brings clarity to ones' own beliefs, whether correct or incorrect depends solely on the accuracy of the knowledge and ideas."
    --Leon Guzdzial

"Embracing knowledge as the sole means of formulating an opinion or belief is scandulous. Knowledge must be scrutinized with common sense and reason in order to withstand the onslaught of criticism".
    -- Leon Guzdzial

Last edited: Aug 31, 2010
  10. Dingo

Dingo Giant Squid

fwiw Mark, I think you should consider your direction for the tank.
    Are you going towards ULNS or just stability? mixed reef or sps or lps dominant? with your direction we can better decide what the most appropriate action is.

If experience has anything to do with it: I run carbon only for the first month or so... then usually not after that unless there is a release of toxins/accidental chemical overdose/spawning event.
    Some articles argue that it is best used to polish off water, however i have found that it is not needed for that. if your husbandry is good you wont have to polish it off ever.

11. AZDesertRat

AZDesertRat Giant Squid

I on the other hand run carbon 24/7/365 as I have a mixture of leathers, LPS and SPS which do constant battle with each other. If I don't remove the toxins they all suffer. I don't use much carbon at a time but I always have some either in a Phosban reactor or in a bag in a medium flow area of the sump. It helps.

12. Reeron

Reeron Blue Ringed Angel

100% agree. I use between 1/8 and 1/4 cup for my 38g tank, changed every 3 weeks.