Actinics

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by Stingray, May 28, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Stingray

Stingray Blue Ringed Angel

Alot of you guys have actinics at around 10.000k the 2 bulbs in my tank 39watt are actinic+ 22.000k what is the difference and how can it benefit me or not,

Cheers...

1 person likes this.
  2. Click Here!

3. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

the actinics aren't 10k, its the normal whites that are 10k

4. coral reefer

coral reefer Giant Squid

Actinics and 10000K bulbs are at different ends of the spectrum. Actinics are around 420-470nm where 10000K are around 700nm. Actinics are blue/purple in color while the 10000K are a white looking bulb with more of the spectrum being evident.

5. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

Only tube type bulb I'm aware of that offers a true 10K is the URI brand Aqua sun Lamps. Their URI actinic whites are as close to a true 12K and a great mix of gasses . Their Aqua Sun is 10 K they suck as all tube type 10 K never use any bulb with the word sun in it the URI Super Actinic burns at 420nm a true Actinic. I any of you run any type of a tube bulb then URI or U/V is all I'd burn there are none better . and after you once try them you'll never switch back .. To the purple Actinics . :) But if you ever ran a system with a 50/50 mix of their super actinic and the actinic white then you'll never change once you see the difference .

6. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

actinics are for pigmentation in livestock and plants, spectrum resembles the absorbtion peak of chlorophyll-a, which is the most important pigment in plant cells.

The Kelvin scale, as it applies to aquariums, is realated to depth and/or time of day the light is simulating. which is really just a selling point, cause it's not exact, because the light itself is not a true black body radiator there's no way the Kelvin scale can be accurate. it's more of what it looks like to the human eye.

7. mr40g

mr40g Astrea Snail

do you have any links to some articles on this.
    I have always been skeptic on lighting and right now am in learing mode.
    any info i can absorb is GREAT. seeing how i dont want to spend a fortune on lighting that is going to suck i would like to do the proper research and find out what really works and not just what advertising works.

you seem to have a wealth of knowledge. :book2:

8. Click Here!

9. Otty

Otty Giant Squid

It's all upstairs in his brain, he needs a USB port so we can download his knowledge and experiences. :p Tangster is speaking from his own experiences and not something he read in a book.

10. mr40g

mr40g Astrea Snail

well in that case we should frag out his brain( just a lil piece) and start selling the little pieces that grow and that will help get the new server for 3reef. ;D

11. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

I'll see if I can locate the U/V Tech sight then you can read until you can stand it I as a rule never do a link to what someone else thinks they know I just speak from what I know as there few standars in this hobby if any at all. I don't really bother with Technical Data unless it pertained to my former Business .. With aquariums I know what works and why it works for me and all who try it , and I know URI now U/V makes the beat bulbs . They are the state of the art for all specialty bulbs form Operating rooms to Dentist office to Tanning Beds to Treatment Lamps in Dermatologists office's on to the new blue white 15K Head Lights on Cars .. No tube bulb from any one for an aquarium can compete or get close. I have access to any kind I want and I won't use anything But URI's or U/V for any Fluorescent applications and SPS for M/H's . U/V aka URI are to aquarium lighting bulbs that SONY is to electronics .. or NASA is to Space or Cambell's is to soup ..

1 person likes this.
  12. nunch

nunch Aiptasia Anemone

Are these the bulbs you're refering to?

URI Fluorescent Light Bulbs