actinic lighting question

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by A4_Andre, Sep 27, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. A4_Andre

A4_Andre Astrea Snail

i'm pretty sure i know what you guys are going to say, but i have to ask... i'd like the color or my corals to stand out more and was wondering if it would be healthy to run just actinics.

for my 75g im currently running 2 65w actinics and 2 65w 10,000k's

2. Click Here!

3. AeLecocq

AeLecocq Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

im pretty sure you need both lights to run for your corals to live.. you could run like 8 hours of both on then just do an hour before your schedual of actinics and an hour after like 11am-7pm both on but turn on actinics an hour before and leave on an hour after

4. phoenixhieghts

phoenixhieghts Panda Puffer

you dont need both colour lights at all. But if you go all atinic your growth rate will slow down. However i would at least run one 10k if you are going to run lots of actinic.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2009
  5. yvr

yvr Skunk Shrimp

I think that the actinic lights alone won't provide your corals with the correct spectrum of light required for photosynthesis and over time you coral would likely suffer or die. If you like the blue light look, you can probably try 20,000 Kelvin bulbs which are heavier in the blue spectrum.

6. ardo_ski

ardo_ski Peppermint Shrimp

If you are running T5's you can go with a ATI Blue Plus rather than an Actinic bulb. What brand and type of bulbs are you running? I run 6 ATI Blue Plus and 4 Aquablue plus and the Corals still pop when the daylights are on.