Actinic & LED questions

Discussion in 'Reef Lighting' started by RavenMind, Jan 28, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. unclejed

unclejed Whip-Lash Squid

Perhaps you should look into these; Current USA PowerBrite LED Lighting System

2. Click Here!

3. loneracer05

loneracer05 Clown Trigger

any1 know of any good sites to get "the good" leds? i worked with surface mount stuff afew years back so i can deff solder it if i had the leds.

any1 interested in buyn me a set ill solder yours aswell :) i was isso certified.

4. RavenMind

RavenMind Spanish Shawl Nudibranch

Thanks for the link unclejed. Looks like a nice little unit.

5. stepho

stepho Panda Puffer

6. RavenMind

Looks like in most of the reviews, buyers either used them as supplements to their existing lighting (T5's mostly), or bought multiple strips. I wouldn't think one of these strips would be enough in and of itself for any marine system.

7. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

I am currently using several of these and really like them... They are quite bright and make a good supplementation. If you plan on using them for your Actinic source you would need a bunch of um. I am currently using 3 of the 10K modules to light an 18x18 fuge, and so far it’s working great, but a very expensive way to do it.

I would think based on what I am using, say you had a 36” tank you would likely need 6 modules to do the trick at a cost in excess of $300.00. They are nice, but like all LED systems – still very expensive.

8. Click Here!

9. RavenMind

Thus why I'm learning to do LEDs myself. :) Plus it sounds like a fun experience.

PDCCO, I see you're from Hailey ID. Do you like it there? I've been through there several times on my way to & from Ketchum/Sun Valley & it seems like a nice little town!

10. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

DIY LED lighting is fun, I have done a few moonlight systems but nothing more complicated than that.

Hailey is an awesome place to live! If you like the great outdoors (biking, fly fishing, hiking, skiing, etc... no place better on earth IMO. Only down side is its small town living (perfect for me, but not for everyone) and its VERY expensive to live here.

11. element

element Fire Worm

It's not that tough, just time consuming. I put 4 blue led's in for night lights and am thinking about converting to all led's. If I do I will do it myself. The toughest part will be figuring how many you can run off of one lead and how big of a transformer you will need. Oh and what size resistor. As for the soldering, use a 15w iron as a 25w will burn out your led. This page will give you some insight to led's. LED Moonlight DIY by Fabio Iannelli Let me know what you learn, maybe we can help eachother. Good luck.

12. PDCCO

PDCCO Feather Duster

LOL;

That is the page I used when I put together my DIY lights a year ago... they are still working great today on my 50g ;D