Acrylic vs glass tank upgrade..

Discussion in 'General Reef Topics' started by Anthos312, Jul 20, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

yea that was one concern i had also. I also think the middle brace would cause a dim sort of "triangle" darkness in the middle of the tank...

2. Click Here!

3. nicodim55

nicodim55 Coral Banded Shrimp

not so much just put your less light needing corals in the middle. I had a 45g acrylic before and it had the middle brace and I just suspended the halides about 10" away and it was fine.

4. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

do you notice any sort of difference in lighting with the center brace? also, how did u keep yours from getting too hot?

5. nicodim55

Not really, just make sure you clean the brace often to remove haze and water splashes to keep it clear. I had it installed on to the canopy and had a fan on the back to keep the halide cool. Do you have a canopy? You need at least 10" to 12" clearance to be safe. If it's suspended from the ceiling I would use the same distance. The key is the fan.

6. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

i will be hanging my kit from the ceiling, dont really want a covered canopy while using a halide, im paranoid of the heat. If it hang it 10" i will likely get two small plugin fans (just in case 1 craps out) and maybe set them on a timer to go on when the light goes on. However, if the heat did sort of warp the middle brace, shouldnt the tank be fine? I thought those were not the main structural strength in tanks..

7. nicodim55

Yes I had mine on timer as well and I don't think the middle brace will warp that bad unless it was sitting 3'' above which in your case its not. Hope that helps.

8. Click Here!

9. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

well. i think im set on acrylic finally. its going to be $180 dollars instead of $100 for glass, but that 80 dollars is going to save me a huge headache if one of my friends throws a beer can across the room while were drunk....

10. nicodim55

;D lol you won't be disappointed with your choice. good luck and post pics

11. Anthos312

Anthos312 Millepora

will do, i will likely do a new thread to show the build. going to do a 2x4" DIY Stand.

12. nicodim55

awesome!