Acrylic tank setup outside

Discussion in 'General Freshwater Information' started by Pinoyxprss, Oct 23, 2011.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

I just setup an 80 gallon acrylic fish tank in my covered patio, its mot getting any sun but the weather has been really weird lately, couple weeks ago it went up to 95 deg f for two weeks and the past two weeks has been cold, around 50-60 deg f, should i be worried about the tank failing?

2. Click Here!

3. billielewis3

billielewis3 Gigas Clam

usually fish dont like huge temp swings. do you have a heater/cooler?

4. 2in10

2in10 Super Moderator

Tank should be OK with no sun reaching it.

5. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

It's going to receive major UV rays. Direct sun or not. Like setting a tank up in front of a big bay window. Then you got temp swings from day to night. Can you describe the porch?

6. Seano Hermano

Seano Hermano Giant Squid

What's wrong with keeping a reef outside? Aside from temp swings...

I've seen a reef pond outside before. Someone had it in their patio, in partial shade. It was actually a 3reefer (can't recall their name). I don't' see why an aquarium outside would be any different than coral in a tide pool.

7. Seano Hermano

8. Click Here!

9. NanaReefer

NanaReefer Fu Manchu Lion Fish

I edited my post while you posted. I didn't mean to come across as discouraging. I apologize :)

Aside from temp swings. I'd be concerned with the amount of UV rays your tank will receive. Climate control is major with a reef system. Just harder to control on the outside. I suppose if you have the proper equipment to handle these issues then there's nothing wrong with having an outside tank.

10. Seano Hermano

haha. That's ok. Climate is my only real concern. If he/she has the equipment to keep parameters stable, I like the idea.

Can we get a picture of your tank (original poster) and where it is located?

11. Pinoyxprss

Pinoyxprss Plankton

Hi guys, sorry for late update, tank running and all fish are doing just fina and dandy, they dont seem to mind the temp swings, not a reef by the way, just freshwater cichlid tank, have two canister filter running thru the tank and keeping it very clean. Temp is stable at 75-82. Have three heaters running and two on timer only ON during the night from 6pm to 9am.

Here's some pic

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]