Acrylic = Headache

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Fiyero1988, Dec 19, 2010.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Ok so some might not consider this an emergency but my mag float scratched my acrylic. Well the piece of sand wedged in between it did. You guys have helped me out a lot, I was wondering if there is a way to remove scratches inside the aquarium. Probably the only con to having acrylic it is way to easy to scratch.

Please any help would be great on the subject.

2. Click Here!

3. TheSurgeonSween

TheSurgeonSween Fire Shrimp

At a lot of fish stores they sell a solution that will take heavy scratches away :)

4. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Micro-Mesh makes excellent acrylic repair kits. (Obviously you don't use the liquid on inside surfaces, that's only for the outside). It sounds like this scratch is by the surface of the sand. If it's low down on the tank, you can put the mesh in between your magnet so you don't have to get your arm all wet.

I recomend not using a magnet for the last 1/2 inch by the sand. You can clean that last 1/2 with an acrylic-safe scraper.

5. saltyfresh

saltyfresh Corkscrew Tentacle Anemone

i would not use a mag on acrylic

6. Vinnyboombatz

Vinnyboombatz Giant Squid

As long as you use the Mag float for acrylic there is no problem. Unless of course you get sand stuck in between.:cry:

7. elweshomayor

elweshomayor Giant Squid

sorry to hijack the thread for a sec :D
    but what about for glass?
    is there a way to get rid of scratches that happened INSIDE the tank?

8. Click Here!

9. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

I know acrylic is a headache but those rounded corners make it worth it. I'm sure I can't repair the scratches without emptying the tank, which i'm not willing to do so I guess I will live with it for now. Anyone know of anything that can be used underwater to cover up small scratches?

Its ok to hijack my thread I don't mind i'm curious as to a way around both glass and acrylic without emptying the tank. Wish they had some miracle goop that you wipe on and it fills in the scratch, and doesn't kill the fish/corals

10. inwall75

inwall75 Giant Squid

Yes, the Micro-Mesh kits. When we are fixing 1000 gallon tanks, we sure aren't draining them.

11. Fiyero1988

Fiyero1988 Bristle Worm

Ok I found a few kits are you sure its safe for the fish and inverts. Sounds like your sanding it too remove the scratches. Wont the acrylic shavings float into their gills?

12. Zoban

Zoban Skunk Shrimp

If they float they should float right into the overflow and then filter material ..