acros dying

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by ollie51, Jun 5, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

over the past few days i have had a couple of acros rtn on me and looking at others some seem to be going that route ,other sps seem to be fine no sign of worms tested water all ok there , these acros have beeen in the tank for at least a year some more, all my clams are fine . was wondering if the bulbs could do something like this they are not quite a year old they are current 14000k hqi maybe not putting out enough? i do weekly water changes ,plenty of circulation anyone got any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. stylaster

stylaster Gigas Clam

check your alk and calcium levels, no one is positively sure why corals rtn on us. ive had it happen when my temp hit 85 degs for a couple of hours

4. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

cal is almost 1400 i have to many clams so i have to keep it high temp is 78 77 so not that this just started a week ago and i am watching acros ive had for a long time bleach out and have no idea why it just seems to be certain acros & not montis or pocillapora or other sps looked for worms but see none very frustrating.

5. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

1,400?! Is that even possible without fallout?!

6. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

sorry i meant 400 (duh)

7. mikejrice

mikejrice 3reef Affiliate

Thats not too high at all. Could the bulbs just be getting old?

8. Click Here!

9. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

thats what i was wondering they are about a 10 months old give or take a little i have a spare set of 10000k i just didnt know if the bulbs being old could cause this kind of a problem?and if this was old for mh bulbs

10. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

bulb wattage?
    par?
    dKH?
    Mg?
    NH3,4?
    NO3,4?
    PO4?
    skimmer?
    fuge?
    supplements?
    what did you do prior to the acros change?

11. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

250 mh hqi ph 8.4ish mag upper 1300everything else 0 nitrates ect no fuge very little supplements cyclopes rotifers not much else i havent really done anything differenti do weekly water changes i did switch brands about 2 months ago was using trop marin switched to instant ocean trop got to expensive

12. reef_guru

reef_guru Humpback Whale

this might be your culprit, acros are touchy, you can google what elements are in both

since you dont your par rating, how far are the acros from the bulbs? and what brand bulb?