Acropora frag bleaching

Discussion in 'ASAP' started by Share-Reef, Aug 17, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

That coral is suffering from RTN and its toast , Find another LFS if they sold that junk. Hell I'd give that away if it was in good shape if it was in that shape Its throw it away . Sorry buddy you got sold a dieing frag . if they charged you more then 5.00 for that in a perfect healthy condition that would be about right. Its nothing wrong with your water from what you posted you have any other SPS corals in the tank ? Tell me what lights do you use and the temps are getting a little higher then I'd want at 82 or 83 ? I think you posted . As for light accuilmating ? never worried about it with any sps coral myslef if its healthy and grown by someone who knows what they are doing then it was under proper lighting and can take all you give it . Any SPS coral's we would send out put them under a 400 to 1,000 M/H and let it be , You just got took with that sick coral they should have never had it for sale , I see signs of cyano on it now ..

2. Click Here!

3. Share-Reef

Share-Reef Astrea Snail

I paid $40 for that frag. I have several other SPS and they are doing fine and growing. Will the frags that I tried to salvage from the bigger frag cause problems in my tank if left in there? My husband is so mad that they sold us that because it was "stratigically" placed in their tank so that only what was left of the blue was showing and I thought it was pretty and wanted it. Dang it! I want to tell them off. For lights we have an all in one fixture with 2 - 250w MH, 4 - 65w actinics, and 8 LED moonlights. We have them on a timer that turns the blues on at 6am, MH on at 7am, MH off at 3:30pm, blues off at 7pm and the moonlights and refugium lights are on from 7pm to 6am. This is for 120 gallon tank. I guess I'll consider it dead and move on.

4. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

They shouldn't but place them somewhat far away from your other sps corals and keep a close eye on them. If they start to RTN as well, yank them out. Did you dip the frags in iodine before placing them back in the tank? If not, don't yank them out to do that now but keep it in mind for the future.

5. Share-Reef

Share-Reef Astrea Snail

Yes, I did the iodine dip before putting them in my tank. I think I am just going to yank them out and trash them because the blue on the little pieces I tried to salvage is leaving and they are turning white.

6. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

RTNing is a bacterial problem , can be brought on from excess heat to bad water lack of circulation to to cool of water low salinity . to Ca and DKH that is not stable enough.. You lighting is fine any acros you get from a commercial farmer will be fine and they need no acclimation .

Acro's are the major leagues or NFL of reefing they demand perfect and tight water quality 24/7 somewhat but not overly forgiving of lesser quality and parameters of water. This is why we all use as many stabilizing reactors as we can from Calcium to phosphates ..

Now if you allow that Acro to get to close to other it can very well infect them.. I see one doing the RTN think I dip and set it as far away as I can from the others .. and if it's is worse in the next few hrs I simple toss them out .

1 person likes this.
  7. vital apparatuz

vital apparatuz Plankton

Ive just been tagging along but thanks Tangster for all the info!

8. Click Here!

9. steve wright

steve wright Super Moderator

welcome to 3 reef Vital apparatuz

Steve

10. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

There is no reason why you shouldn't return the frag to the LFS with your complaints. Do it calmly but firmly and then let them know how DISAPPOINTED you are with them for allowing that to happen to a valued customer - assuming that they truly value their customers.

Make it clear that "unfortunately" you will now have to think twice before you spend hard earned money there again. It also never hurts to casually let it drop that you know "several other local reefers" who you will be sharing your experience with.

You may be surprised in how they react. Hopefully it will show you their true colors. So much of this industry is built on rep and trust that perhaps they will make good with you, especially if you have purchased from them before.

best of luck - sorry this happened to you.

11. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

This thread is almost 2 years old folks :D

12. OnefishTwofish

OnefishTwofish Feather Star

haha.....hmmm

don't mind me,

i will be over there ------> sipping my coffee and trying to wake up.

lol

(at least you are awake amcarrig)