acro toast?

Discussion in 'SPS Corals' started by ollie51, Jun 10, 2008.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

we had a power outage yesterday for several hours and my tank went into the high 80 degree range no one was home to do anything i do have a back up generator but not being home, useless .only damage i can see is one acro i believe its called a acropora suharsonoi ? it was a real deep blue/purple but now its a brownish beigh khaki color which was the color (sort of) when i got it it took several weeks to color up i was wondering if it is toast or a slim chance it might come backanyone got any ideas?

2. Click Here!

3. antonym518

antonym518 Purple Spiny Lobster

polyps still coming out

4. ollie51

ollie51 Feather Duster

no but it never really had polyps that were big ,its a boney type acro no real polyps right after it happened there were a few spots of blue left but they have all gone not a good thing i think

5. reefnut1

reefnut1 Spaghetti Worm

I do not think that the temperature alone would hurt it. At most it might brown a little. I have seen pictures of reefs filled with acros in very warm areas totally out of the water during low tide every day.

We have power losses regularly in my area and I have had some pretty large temp swings and have never lost an acro. I have lost frogspawn and hammers due to this though.

6. schackmel

schackmel Giant Squid

I was told to target feed mine (by somebody on here) when my acros got bleached out after my tank heated up. At this point they loose the ability to "pull" food from the water supply and need that target feeding. Mine were bleached, not just brown, so it sounds like mine were farther along then yours got thankfully for you.

I usually target feed anyway, but have tried to concentrate on them a little more, and I have a few pieces that are starting to get some color back. It has taken almost 3 1/2 weeks but like I honestly did not think anything would come back at all.