Acro question

Discussion in 'Coral Health' started by alovely, Mar 28, 2009.

to remove this notice and enjoy 3reef content with less ads. 3reef membership is free.

1. alovely

alovely Astrea Snail

ok, so I recently bought a colony of purple acro from a fellow reefer for a steal... well I thought all were purple anyways... I been target feeding them because they were bleach white... The first day I woke up and saw a lot more color on them so I was getting excited. For everyday about 5 days it just seem to be increasing in color and I could even start to see it grow. However, I have recently had a horrible cynao outbreak and been trying to cure it but nothing is working right now so I am just gonna let it die off itself. None has grown on the acro but the color doesn't seem as vibrant as it once was and it has some sort of green growing on the base where the purple use to be. I will post pictures as soon as I can find a camera.
    EDIT~~~~~~~~~~~~~

They are under MH lighting so getting enough light and their flow is good

2. Click Here!

3. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

Was it already bleached when you got it? If you have been target feedign a lot, they may be a cause of the cyno. What are your parameters. Acros do need very good water quality and cyno usually means that ther are excess nutrients in the water.

4. alovely

alovely Astrea Snail

yes they were bleached when I got them.. water is fine water is at : PH 8.0 ammonium: 0 Nitrite: 0 Nitrate: 1.0 salinity : 1.027 Temp: 78 Alkalinity: 10 DKH PO4 : .2 my water seems fine. I think the bacteria I was thinking ok could be because over feeding but my dad who was doing a water change used DI not RO/DI could this be problem as well, it is only the main one that is turning green at the base... I was thinking maybe some sort of algae but it doesn't look like it

5. GuitarMan89

GuitarMan89 Giant Squid

That sounds strange. Usually algae only grows on dead coal, if it is algae. So the base of the actual coral is turning green?

6. alovely

alovely Astrea Snail

yeah I know right... the top is actually getting more color but a little part of the base is green not sure if it is algae though.. I know tough without pictures I have to wait for my sister because she has the camera right now

7. amcarrig

amcarrig Super Moderator

What are you target feeding the coral?

8. Click Here!

9. hotrodder

hotrodder Plankton

alovey,
    I have not seen any acro color up that fast. If it is a green color on the base, that could be and most likey is algae. Cyano outbreaks are from nutrients in the water without enough flow. Water changes usually fix the cyano. I have never target fed my acros and my growth is outstanding. Please take a look at my tank at Reefs.org My member name is the same. I had some Bryopsis growing, but it is all gone now. Cyano is easy compared to that stuff. Let me know if I can help.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2009
  10. Tangster

Tangster 3reef Sponsor

How does one target feed a acropora coral ? what do they eat even ? M/H does not mean you have proper lighting what are you using for the just as importaint actinic lighting ? Did this coral bleach or RTN ? 1.027 is way high and how many sps corals have you kept ? It takes months for a bleached acro tp eve show signs of coloring back up after a bleaching occurance .